Elimination Communication, and switching to cloth Question.

Elysian1c0

Reaction score
Been using elimination communication with my LO for a week or so now. It's wonderful, it works, baby responded to it really quickly. It's actually TOO good, because he's taken to pretty much demanding he be pee'd, and not everyone in my household knows his cues just yet. But anyway...

Since he is wetting his diapers so infrequently, and he's been very good about pooping during a potty opportunity, I'm suddenly feeling EXTREMELY wasteful about using disposables...he doesn't even use them, and they get tossed in the trash. When I was pregnant, I spent HOURS ON END researching cloth diapers and deciding what style I wanted to use, etc, but we never got them because my OH had a sudden fit about the cost :)wacko: cheaper in the long run, duh!!) Plus my family talked me out of it. I'm thinking I may be ready to go for it.

My question is, given the circumstances, what would you guys suggest I do? My original plan was to do Indian prefolds with wool covers, but now I'm wondering if All-in-ones wouldn't be a bit more convenient...it's been so long since I gave it any thought, I feel clueless all over again.

I loooove wool, that said if your using EC I'm not sure it's worth the cost. I find wool far more reliable, and obviously nicely breathable, I personally have never known anyone who got on with prefolds, but I know people do, but if using wool I'd say some kind of shaped fitted would be better.

AIOs would probably be excellent for you as they aren't as reliable but you don't need them to absorb as much if he's doing so well with the EC, and easy for anyone to use, especially if they are aplix fastening.

How about some of each, assuming your LO wets at night, use wool and fitteds at night and AIOs in the day maybe!

Thank you! That's a really good idea, because he does still wet during most of the night. Though, last night he woke up twice and WOULD NOT SETTLE until I put him on the potty. While, I appreciate that he'd rather not do it in his diaper, I wish he would because it kind of sucks to pee him all night long when he normally is a very steady sleeper.

I think for you prefolds would be a good option, since he's not peeing often they are very cheap and you can wash them with anything else.

Another option that would be good would be flips, you use the same cover all day and just when he pees change out the insert

We have started ec'ing not long ago and i personally like the all in ones because if i pick up on a cue whilst he is in a nappy i just undo one side, slip it to one side a cue him and he wee's then i just do it back up.
We also have a few prefolds for when i am wearing him or if dh is cuddling him. x

I think for you prefolds would be a good option, since he's not peeing often they are very cheap and you can wash them with anything else.

Another option that would be good would be flips, you use the same cover all day and just when he pees change out the insert

I was going to suggest flips too, as they wouldn't cost you too much to set up.

I use BumGenius one-size pocket diapers when I only able to devote enough attention to EC to use timing. When I am not having to multitask many things at once I am using MotherEase size small cloth pullups (sort of a pair of reinforced underwear, lol) and a pair of babylegs for warmth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->