Emergency surgery for appendix.

kimmy04

Reaction score
Hi ladies I posted a thread about this in second trimester but wondering if maybe some of you have experienced this before during pregnancy. I'm just wondering how long the scar took to heal and if it affected labour at all?

I had my surgery last night and everything went well, baby is doing good and kicking away. Just hoping it will be fully healed by the time I need to push my baby out in a few months!

Any advice would be appreciated!

I had my gallbladder removed last time in pregnancy, I was 17 weeks with twins. No one felt it affected how I birth etc, I did end up with a section though but that was because they were both breech.

I also had my GB removed this pregnancy, I was 23 weeks. All my scars have healed over very nicely. The one on my belly button where they take it out from was my main worry but it's been fine :)

I've talked to a few people in my family who has their appendix removed (not during pregnancy) but they all had the small laparoscopic incision through the belly button and recovery is a lot less painful and quicker! Because baby takes up so much room I had to be cut open and since everything is pushed upwards in my body my appendix was right beside my belly button so now I have this huge ugly scar :(

Recovery is so tough. Very similar to a c section but I still have the baby inside me. I'm constantly worrying about feeling her move and checking her heart beat and praying she will be okay. The surgeon told me to pay close attention to any signs of pre term labour as that can happen after an open surgery. :( I'm managing but I'm really nervous still.

I know this thread was posted 3 weeks ago but I have only just come across it and I felt I needed to post.

I too had an emergency open appendix surgery and it was the same week as yourself but mine was 7th May. I was at my gender scan on the 7th and I explained when having the scan that I had been experiencing pains for past couple of days or so. They noticed that there was something wrong with my bowel on the scan and first thought it was a twisted bowel but after blood tests and where I said the pain was they said they think it is appendicitis but would have to go straight ahead and do surgery because it wasn't safe to do any other scans. I was very scared because of the risk to the pregnancy but I'm glad I had it done because they said it was almost ready to burst. I also have further complications because my appendix had gone into my bowel so they had to remove a bit of my bowel too. They sent it off for a biopsy and I found out what they found is benign but I am going to have to go for further appointments after baby is born with the colorectal team and probably have to have a CT scan and might have to have surgery again to remove more of my bowel :(
I totally understand where your coming from with the pain from the surgery I can't manage much about the house I'm just shuffling about because of the soreness, my scar doesn't look too bad but it's dinted in a bit that part of my stomach. I really worry also about if my baby is ok, I'm hoping for an extra scan around 34 weeks for the baby but I'm not sure I will be given one. Have you been offered any more scans for the baby?
Sorry for the big long message but just felt I had to post because our stories are similar, having the operation in the same week and also our due dates aren't so far apart either.
Feel free to PM if you like :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->