Encouragement/Advice Needed! TIA!

kksy9b

Loving my 2 boys and baby girl!
Reaction score
Just looking for some encouragement as my DH doesn't understand. My DS is coming up on 6 months in a couple weeks and we are going to start introducing solids. I am incredibly sad about this for some reason.We have exclusively breastfed since birth (I think he has only had 5 or 6 bottles total...he doesn't take them, I hate pumping and love nursing- it's a win/win). I know that he is ready for real food but I'm not ready to give up that time with him..even if it is only a little bit. Am I crazy here? Anyone else have a hard time when their LOs were ready for solids? Any advice to get through? We've been so successful with nursing that it makes me nervous to switch it up (DS left hospital at 6 lb 7 oz and at 5 1/2 months is almost 19 lbs!). I know it will be fine..just crazy momma hormones and needing an understanding ear from someone who's been there. Thanks :)

Solids doesn't mean the end of bf by any means. No baby asks for food to settle from a bad dream or teething pain in the middle of the night, no baby learns to eat three means and two snack per day straight away. My LO was a really good eater but even when she was on 3 meals a day we still had 4-5 breastfeeds a day and she was still up at night nursing. Even at 1yr when she went to nursery while I worked we still had 3 x feeds per day. I didn't stop bf her till 27months.

Have you looked at babyled weaning at all. This really worked for us because I didn't feel like I was 'swapping' her bm for food; SHE was chosing to explore food and eat it when she was ready.

It's also useful to remember that whatever weaning method you use, milk comes first and food second.

While introducing solids is technically considered the beginning of weaning, it is only the very, very beginning. I introduced solids to my DCs at 6 months and 8 months respectively and they both continued to BF to 20 months+ (DS2 is 20 months and still going strong). While you may no longer be his sole source of nutrition, you are still his mother. You still have that exclusive bond with him, and you can absolutely continue the nursing relationship.

With all of that said, is there a reason you feel compelled to introduce solid foods right now? My DS2 simply didn't seem ready at 6 months--he was growing beautifully on breastmilk, nursed well and often, was strong and meeting all of his milestones but he showed no interest in a sippy cup, a spoon, or even the food on my plate. My pediatrician told me that they don't really *need* solid food until one year so it was ok if I wanted to wait a while. He started to show signs of readiness at 8 months and, at that point, we began baby led weaning. Whatever you decide to do, he will be totally fine and you can still continue to BF for a long time to come!

I dreaded starting solids. Bf is just so easy, and I guess it's also about your baby no longer being totally dependent on you.

I would definitely recommend baby led weaning, and not to rush. It doesn't matter if they don't eat much to start with, its more important that they explore at their own pace.

Thanks ladies. My DS has been ready for real food for the last 2-3 weeks. I really wanted to make it to the 6 months EBF ... his weight gain is fine and is hitting/ahead of his milestones so we are waiting. I know that it won't be the end of BF'ing, just sad that we will lose some of that time together. But I know it will be fine...I think it's always harder for Momma's than babies as they grow :) Thanks again!

He won't noticeably drop any milk feeds for a good few weeks, maybe even longer.

We did baby led weaning and it took her a couple of weeks to swallow anything anyway as it's more about learning to chew and use their tongue etc.

DD is 17 months and still has plenty of boob. So this is by no means the end for you guys.

Xxxxx

Heck, mine is 20 months and would be content to spend all day and all night on the boob so fear not ;)

I was the same - I really didn't want to start on solids, but as others said it will no tbe the end of BF. we also did BLW and the change is really gradual.

he's 2 1/2 now and he's preferred 'meal' is still his mummy milk in the morning....:blush:

I did not want to introduce.solids at all! We did blw and I was so glad he took it slow and is still a boobie monster :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->