Engagement Ring Help

£20K!!! Wow my DF would never agree to that. He would like me to work to a budget of abot £5000.

I have no clue on themes or colours.
I know we're going abroad to somewhere caribbean but not certain exactly where.

I don't think I'll be having any bridesmaids :nope: because my family won't come to the wedding (my mum refuses to go and everyone else has fallen in line behind her) so my wedding will be just me, DF, MIL and SFIL.
And I don't think DFs sister will be able to come as she will have her :baby: and can't really afford to.

No no no hang on lol not 20 k in POUND, in Australian $! Big Difference lol
It's still a lot though. I don't think we'll go that high. I don't think i'd really feel comfortable tbh. i couldn't believe he said it! His parents told him a while ago that they've been putting away money for our wedding cause they knew my mum wouldn't be able to afford to help us out at all - Bless them.

Wow that's pretty full on about your mum and family, that must be really disappointing hun :nope: Does she not approve or something?
Families can get so messy sometimes hey...

Just stumbled across this and thought I'd add my two cents (love the ring by the way! simple but still very unique and elegant). To return to the issue of the ring metal, I noticed a few posters said white gold is just yellow gold plated to look white but that's not completely accurate. White gold is yellow gold alloyed with a white metal such as nickel (which some are allergic to, btw, so be warned!) to make it look white. THEN it's dipped in rhodium to give it it's shiny white appearance. The metal that shows through after the plating wears off is more of a yellow-tinted white, but you'll still need to get it re-plated to get it looking shiny white again. One of the benefits of platinum is that it is naturally white and doesn't lose it's color. It will start to take on a grayish satin finish over time, but you don't need to get it plated...you can just polish it to restore its original luster. Also, platinum is hypoallergenic, so you don't need to worry about it causing any reactions. There are actually quite a few practical reasons to go with platinum, but you should decide for yourself whether it is worth the extra expense. In the end this should be you and your DF's decision, and no one else's. Hope some of that helps and congratulations!

Hey! Just thought I'd add my bit in as well as I've just noticed this post!

I'm like you as well - I've chosen my ring, planning my wedding for June 2011 (and still waiting for the proposal! :haha: )

The ring that my OH has bought me is white gold - he had originally said to me that he would buy platinum but I actually talked him out of this as the ring I chose would be £450 more expensive in platinum!!! I just thought that this money could be better spent on other things (as we are currently expecting also!!)

I don't think it matters whether your ring is platinum, gold, silver or plastic! All that matters is that both of you are in love and are looking forward to a happy future together!
:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->