Engorged breasts after birth - learn how to deal with it BEFOREHAND!

Luzelle

Reaction score
I did not know at all what to expect and when my milk came in, did not know how to deal with these huge shining painful breasts.
My advice girls, for those who plan on breastfeeding for the first time, is to ask advice before you leave hospital if your milk has not come in yet, or to educate yourself beforehand.
Next time I will deal with the inconveniences and noises of the hospital and rather stay in until after my milk has come in.
Also, I became extra engorged due to a long labour and synthetic hormones and drips from the emergency c-section I had. My milk only came in on day four! But hell, did it come in!!!!
I started pumping to drain the excess, which lead to big oversupply problems and a hectic four weeks, and I nearly stopped bf'ing. I had to pump to 'deflate' my boobs enough so that Barry could latch, and in the middle of the night, dead tired, this was awful. Its was not so 'natural' or 'easy' for me, but rather a learned art. Worth it, but keep in mind that its not so easy for everybody. Both you and baby have to learn to do it.:thumbup:

If you are not breastfeeding, the recommendation is to keep a tight bra on
and leave well alone, dont try expressing or anything as that only makes
your body produce more milk.

If you breastfeeding, i think the same applies, feed LO, but otherwise leave
well alone, savoy cabbage leaves in your bra help with the pain. x

One word and that's 'cabbage' if your in Pain with your breast take the outside leaves of a large savoy cabbage and place them inside your bra. Honestly there is sone thing in the cabbage that helps I saw it work first hand with my mom and bestmate it's truely amazing Will be taking a cabbage in the hospital just incase I need it.
It was moms midwife that told her about it and she was so desperate she would have tried anything!!
Hope this may help someone!!
:hug: xxxx

Thanks girls xx

I'm so new to this! I'm a K-cup so panicking about whether I will even be able to breast feed as, being that size, they're not the most pert things in the world :( xx

Hey, intruding from second tri ;)

Just want to say that I was completely oblivious to it all first time round, and on day 4 after my emergency csection, I suddenly felt really ill, like i was coming down with flu or an infection, I got all hot and shakey. I of course called the hospital and the midwife said "did you have your baby a few days ago?" I said yes, and ahe told me that some women come over funny when the milk comes in and it'll only last hours or a day. I really panicked before she told me that!!

And, omg don't express so your OH can do a feed and you can sleep through it... I woke up soaking wet with these two unidentified bloated objects on my chest and it hurt! All because I missed a feed lol. Leave it a few weeks before trying that, not a few days after birth!! XX

Thanks girls xx

I'm so new to this! I'm a K-cup so panicking about whether I will even be able to breast feed as, being that size, they're not the most pert things in the world :( xx

Don't worry, unless you have NO nipples you will be able to feed :) size make no difference XX

Thanks girls xx

Don't worry, unless you have NO nipples you will be able to feed :) size make no difference XX

:haha: that tickled me :haha: I hope so! I'm just panicking :D xxx

Thanks ladies, im a newbie mum and planning on breastfeeding. Info like this is GREAT!! keep the tips/ etc coming lol xx

I just wanted to pass on a little tip: if you get sore or cracked nipples, rubbing a bit of breastmilk on them seems to help. I breastfed my daughter for two years and loved it! Am hoping it will be as easy with my son, who is due in 5 wks. Oh, one other thing; that flu-ey feeling can sometimes be due to mastitis so do get checked out if it lasts more than a day as you may need treatment

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->