Engorgement

luz

Reaction score
My milk came in yesterday morning so about 24 hours ago. I'm still very engorged. Baby is feeding fine but definitely does not ever empty the breast- no matter how much I feed her from one side.

Can I pump to relieve engorgement or will that just encourage my body to continue making this amount of milk and only make the problem worse? I know it's ok to pump a little, but I'm talking pumping till nearly empty. I'm just in so much pain. Any clue when I can expect this to go away? And what can I do to help my boobs hurt a little less? I remember engorgement with my first but can't remember what I did to get it to go away or for how long it lasted.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!

Pumping until nearly empty will definitely make it worse. :( I've heard supply can be higher with subsequent children so it sounds like that may be what has happened to you!

The only situation in which it would be a good idea to pump is if you plan to keep pumping every day to remove the extra milk. Otherwise it will just keep telling your body to make that much milk, and possibly more.

Ibuprofen can help with the discomfort. And try to keep things moving to prevent clogs and mastitis. Massage any clumps, use heat before feeding, etc.

It may take a few weeks but things will regulate :hugs:

Thanks, I try to feed as often as possible, I think the problem is there is SO MUCH milk she hardly empties at all. My breasts are still pretty hard after a feeding. Not rock hard like they are before, but not soft. She's also only taking one breast per feeding. So it just really really hurts. I've read it normally passed within 48 hours- so hopefully only one more day and things will start to settle down.

Pumping this early will only increase your supply...ide avoid it! Try to hand express if nessessary, and use warm and cold compresses on your breasts in the meantime...it should equalize soon:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->