• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Epi-No??? Anyone thought about this?

Beankeeper

Mother of 1 gorgeous boy
Reaction score
My sister gave birth a couple of weeks ago, and was very lucky not to tear or require an episiotomy. She has strongly recommended the Epi-No https://www.epi-no.co.uk/howitworks.asp and has offered to buy it for me as a gift... the gift of preserving my hoohaa! LOL!

Has anyone heard much about this? Used one? Bought one? Thought about it? I'm really torn (no pun intended!) as I feel a bit uncomfortable having her spend all that money on me, but I couldn't justify £90 on it, no matter how successful it was.

EDIT: I should say this product is designed to stretch & prepare the perineal area for a baby's head to exit comfortably... so to speak.

Never seen that before, but looks interesting. Personally I just used olive oil to massage my perineum in the weeks leading up to the birth and I have never torn. I suppose that could just be genetics though!

Never heard of it either and not something I'd use I don't think xx

I was also very interested in this product, Bean. I just, like you, didn't want to spend the money on it. It's so hard to know if it helps- there is no way to do a control experiment since some people are prone to tear and others aren't and different births are different. You'd need a huge study showing less likelihood of tearing using Epi-NO. In any case, I think if nothing else it will help to learn the sensation of birthing, which would be cool.

So, in short, love to hear your review after you get it. lol!

What IS that thing?! I've never seen or heard of it before...but like...what if it pops?! What if it does indeed tear you? Does it hurt to use it? I'm very curious (and prone to tearing...I've torn from regular intercourse before!).

What did your sister think of it? Did she use it regularly?

I have complete placenta previa so this wouldn't even matter for me because I'm getting a C Section (boooo!)..but I'm still curious!

I considered it, but instead plan on just doing daily perineal massage with EPO :thumbup: I couldnt really justify spending that much either, particularly when there are much cheaper alternative's to help prevent tearing.

I'm another who looked into it and decided not to get it. I think if you are going to tear, you will. I'd be interested to hear what you think about it if you end up letting your sister get it for you xx

My doula friend recommended it to me first time around. Never got one though because you can only use it from 37 weeks I think and DS arrived 34+6.

I did massage every day from 32 weeks though and still got a 2nd degree tear but it didn't hurt at the time and I'm all healed fine.

I agree that same with stretch marks, genetics has a lot to do with it.

My sister was raving about it! She gives it full credit for her not tearing, and that's why she wanted to give me one, because she truly believes it works. I'm a bit more cynical than her generally. If I was well off, I would probably buy one, but I don't have the money. She is a lot better off than me, as her & her husband have great, well paid careers.
I just don't know.
Having said that, there are a lot more good reviews than bad... Hmm

They are looking for first time mums as volunteers to trial the Epi-No at the hospital I go to (here in Syd Australia). I didn't realise they were so expensive! Maybe I should try it. Don't know if I could put up with the extra trips to the hospital though.

They are looking for first time mums as volunteers to trial the Epi-No at the hospital I go to (here in Syd Australia). I didn't realise they were so expensive! Maybe I should try it. Don't know if I could put up with the extra trips to the hospital though.

If I could get it for free I would DEFINITELY get it! I'd go for it if I were you.

If she is giving it as a gift graciously accept.

However, perineal massage and not over "pushing" during labor are also meant to help

I think I'm gong to get one. I'm tiny, hoping for a natural birth with no drugs (but who knows what will happen in the end!!) and willing to try anything that will help avoid tearing/an episiotomy.. At the very least, getting used to all the sensations may help me to keep calm when it's all kicking off!

Please do let us know what you decide to do Beankeeper.

Good luck!

if you have got the cash then great but i personally would not stretch myself to buy it. You could still tear after using it. I think its babies shoulders that cause most tears x

Personally I wouldn't. The idea of stretching everything down there is a bit strange to me.. I can see why you might want to try (to prevent tearing) but at the same time I would feel a bit strange going out of my way to make everything "loose" down there. I can't help but think that if we were meant to be loose down there then we would have been designed that way? The way I see it, I need my vagina for other things :sex: it's not just for pushing babies out! lol!

I tried doing perineal massage a few times but again, it just weirded me out, and there's not enough evidence out there to prove that it actually makes any difference. I think I'll take my chances with tearing! Bit too late for me to do anything about it now anyway lol

oh.... not sure I want to mess with my downstairs department. Just going to let nature take its course on this one. If I tear, I tear (ouch!)

Go for it if its a gift!

@Beankeeper have you considered using the one your sister already has with the same type condoms they use in hospital over vaginal scanners? I wouldn't buy a new one if there was one already available.

Btw I bought one last week, have tried it out will update in two weeks time when I get to 37 weeks. Presently am only doing the Pelvic floor exercises with it. That is what is recommended from 34 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->