epidural experiences please?

(Did you read how many women just on this thread alone from all over the place were mobile, active participants in their labors and had no catheter?)

A walking epidural is a term used in the medical field to distinguish between the types. Either way the fact is not everyone does their research in epidurals to know that there are different dosages that can be administered. And though you may not agree with my response, it is factual. (not saying yours isn't) This is why I did not offer any personal experience rather gave information I've learned through being in the medical field and from documented studies on epidural use.

That being said they do have downsides. Like being completely bedridden with a catheter inserted in you. The inability to feel anything waste down makes pushing more difficult and less effective.

This isn't factual.

At best it is a partial truth. It *can* be the case sometimes, but is not always by a long shot and that's exactly how you presented it. That's wrong imho.

You remind me of my labor and delivery class instructor. She taught us that if we had an epidural that our babies would come out limp and lifeless and Apgar score near dead because we'd never be able to push them out effectively. Can that happen? Sure. But not necessarily because of the epidural and certainly not as the absolute she presented it to be. (She invited couples back to present their birthing experience to future couples and you bet I took advantage. When her glaring red ears started steaming from the back of the room as I shared mine I knew at that point she had ulterior motives. She didn't give a rip that my labor and delivery went flawlessly, that my baby had been born safely, beautifully and we were both healthy - she had an obvious secret hate for anyone and anything that deviated from 100% stone age deliveries. You can't educate anyone or present fact fairly if you hold biases like that.)

Beyond that I'm done discussing it with you further. You have your opinions (for whatever reasons) and I have mine that is based both in fact and direct experience.

I completely ruled out the idea of an Epidural altogether. I really didn't want one. I was induced and after 41 hours of labor, only progressed to 4cm. Every time they checked my cervix, I screamed. They had to keep turning the Pitocin up to get me to progress a little and my contractions were getting longer and closer together. I had one contraction last 4 minutes. I wanted to die! :haha:

So I finally got the epidural. I didn't feel a thing. The anesthesiologist guy talked to me and joked with me and kept me really calm throughout and he made the experience wonderful. I could've kissed him, because really, who isn't nervous about getting a needle in the spine?

Afterwards I was a different person. Talking, laughing, having more productive labor. I went from 4cm to 10cm in 6 hours (after it took me 41 hours just to get to 4!) The nurse I had was wonderful, she originally was a midwife from England, so she was able to help manually stretch my cervix with every check she did and I didn't feel it at all. She even broke my water for me! They weaned me off a little bit towards the end because I told them I wanted to feel it, so I was able to feel almost everything while pushing baby out. I will get one this time!

The only thing that was totally weird about it for me, was when they needed to move me. I watched them move my legs but in my head they weren't my legs.. if that makes any sense.:haha: I saw these random legs going in different directions but in my mind my legs were lying still on the bed. It was bizarre, but it made me laugh!

Walking epidurals are common in North America but as far as I am aware, not so much abroad and a lot of girls here are in the UK.

I hated my epidural (which was a full epidural, not walking), couldn't push properly, pushed 4 hours, baby got trapped and birth injury. Needless to say, I went 100% unmedicated the second time and very happy with the results.

I would never get one of those full epidurals again if I had to give birth (obviously for something else like an operation is a bit different). Natural labour hurt a lot but I felt great when it was over.

Thanks girls. They do sound good. No point suffering if u dont have to.

Although if u struggle to push i can imagine its horrible.

I still pushed 2 hours with my completely unmedicated birth, unfortunaely I think some of us (me) also just suck at pushing.

Epidurals can make you dizzy and sick too, especially with all the fluids being pumped in. Unfortunately same with no medication either, it's part of labour. But it sounds like any sort of morphine-type medication is what you want to avoid, that will usually make you off in la-la land without control, rather than an epidural (where it is a known but uncommon side effect).

Good luck!!!

EXACTLY!!!

You can certainly struggle with pushing with epidural or not. Practice your kegels, stay as upright as possible, shift if you need to and push like you're trying to poop. With all that and no extreme pain holding me back due to the awesomeness of my epidurals mine were out in just a handful :thumbup:

I also wanted to add that I had no side effects to the Epidural whatsoever. No shakiness, dizziness, nausea, my blood pressure didn't go up, no fever, nothing. And I came out of it just fine, some people complain that their legs don't feel steady for a while. I'm not saying these things don't happen, just that they don't ALWAYS have to happen.

First baby was back to back and bloody stubborn, birthed her back to back. After 17 hours of terrible contractions I NEEDED an epidural because honestly I just wanted to die. It was soooooo amazing whilst it worked but alas it stopped working down one side and then the doc fiddling with it made it come out altogether. So it sucked big time because not only was I in agony I was forced to lay in bed with a catheter! Awful!

I didn't need an epidural for either labours, I laboured quickly, only used water and gas and air first time and nothing second time, any kind of pain relief would have likely slowed me down. Obviously research all pain relief, but I say go in with an open mind and see how your labour develops, it isn't conducive to have your mind set on one type of pain relief (but knowing I *could* get an epidural if I need did fill me with a bit of confidence).

If you have a slow labour or are being induced then they will be useful, but if you are progressing at a good pace the risk of an epidural probably won't outweigh the benefit if you know what I mean. It'll depend where you are in the world though, I gather some countries are much quicker to get you medicated than others.

I LOVED my epidural and I will have one next time

I had one at 5cm dilated, for me the insertion of the tube was painful - my doctor was telling me sometimes they have to do it more than once to get the placement right and I can remember thinking, if it's not in right I'll have to go without because they are not doing that again!! Thankfully it was right first time.

I have read very different outcomes but for me the epidural killed the pain but did not numb me completely, I could still move my legs and was able to push without any problems at all (12 minutes pushing).

I did need a catheter but I don't feel that's a big deal, I didn't feel it going in and although the epidural had worn off before they took it out it wasn't at all painful.

I had no side effects.

For me it made giving birth a calm and enjoyable experience
Good luck in finding the best choice for you
X

Thanks so much girls. You have all helped to put my mind at rest. Xx

Personally, I took the epidural very early on( at around 3cm) as I had already been in labor for 2 days and needed a rest in order to be able to push. Well I rolled over while I was napping ( To my side from my back) And without anyone knowing, the epidural disconnected. So i went through 3 of 5 hours of labor without the epidural. I did however have the gas. I remember once the epidural had stopped working the pain was terrible. Once I took the gas, I felt like I just took a big long nap.

I freaking love epidurals! Sweet, sweet relief. I would not want the kind that you get in the UK. I prefer minimum to no pain thanks! That's the whole reason I wanted one! I tried to hold off so I could dilate more, and made it to 6cm on pain meds through the IV. Then I got my epi. I was scared. Who isn't of a needle in the back! It wasn't bad though. A little stick and burn for the numbing med, then pressure for the big needle. I could finally rest! It did start wearing off on one side at one point, and they came in and had me roll on my side awhile. That fixed the problem. So so glad it was working for the pushing because I tore 4th degree and she was stitching a long time. Even with the epi working extremely well, I felt an extra numbing shot they gave me deep in the vajayjay! It was bad. The anesthesiologist came in a and said he would even crank up my meds more cause I was gonna want it!
Thankfully I didn't feel pain pushing her out but just pressure. I would have been freaking out so bad and probably would have passed out from hyperventilating if I had to go through that nightmare without pain relief.
Oh btw, she was my first baby and i was pushing for 10-15 mins. They used the ventouse. She was 9lbs 5oz. Too big for my poor privates. >.<

Aww bless you hun how painful that would of been.

whats different about the uk ones?

Epidurals sound like a great way to cope with labour. Moat peoples biggest fears before having a baby are how bad the pain is.

i think its nice to know theres an option like this if it gets too much. Needles dont bother me but in the back its a little scary. I guess you just have to block it out for a min xx

Had the epidural at 9cm. I went from 3cm to 9cm and my heart failed from the shock of it. When the cardiac team got me up and running again the anaesthesia lady was there. It was fabulous if I didn't take it they were gonna knock me out so I'm glad it took I also had a vacuum delivery and I also had a failed placenta delivery and if I hadn't the epidural they would of had to take it out in theatre like a c section.
The epidural was a gift.

Had the epidural at 9cm. I went from 3cm to 9cm and my heart failed from the shock of it. When the cardiac team got me up and running again the anaesthesia lady was there. It was fabulous if I didn't take it they were gonna knock me out so I'm glad it took I also had a vacuum delivery and I also had a failed placenta delivery and if I hadn't the epidural they would of had to take it out in theatre like a c section.
The epidural was a gift.

Wow!! Did you ever happen to write a birth story? I would love to read it if you did. You sound like you went through hell. I'm so glad everything worked out for you!:hugs:

I had one - I had been induced 36 hours before due to high BP and I developed pre-eclampsia, so it was part of the protocol to give me one. Before I had it I was being active, on my knees, but to do the epidural they laid me down. The epidural didn't work so I was flat on my back with a posterior baby, with induced contractions which were incredibly painful, I bit my mouth to pieces and the gas nozzle had to be replaced because I chewed it up! They re-sited the epidural at 8cm, and stuck the needle in too far - the pain relief was amazing but the needle punctured my spine and I developed a spinal headache due to fluid draining out of my spine. I couldn't sit upright, stand or walk without intense pain and nearly blacking out. I had to wait 48 hours for the damage to be repaired, by a third needle in the spine, inserting some of my blood in to make a patch over the hole. I didn't change his nappy for 2 days and I couldn't feed him. I won't be having one next time for sure!

I'm sure others have probably said this, but you're going to want the epidural before things get unbearable.
Anyway, I got one very very early on w/ my induction. As soon as I felt any kind of discomfort, I buzzed the nurse station and said to bring the juice lol.
It's definitely a weird experience and you are confined to the bed, but I didn't think it was bad at all. Boring since I labored for so long, but not bad :D

I'm sure others have probably said this, but you're going to want the epidural before things get unbearable.
Anyway, I got one very very early on w/ my induction. As soon as I felt any kind of discomfort, I buzzed the nurse station and said to bring the juice lol.
It's definitely a weird experience and you are confined to the bed, but I didn't think it was bad at all. Boring since I labored for so long, but not bad :D

The risk with that is though it can severely slow down labour, especially when strapped to the bed. Obviously with an induction it makes sense to have one early as you know labour is likely to be very intense and you're probably having help keeping contractions going, but any kind of pain relief does interfere and cause risks, obviously there are massive benefits to epidurals but if done too early it's hard to know if you're increasing the risk before needing the benefit. In the UK our epidurals are administered and used quite differently I gather, we don't tend to have them early on, we're normally sent away from hospital in the early stages (which I agree with).

With a spontaneous labour the best thing is absolutely to give it a bit of time first and then assess if an epidural is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->