episiotomy healing time?

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
I gave birth almost 3 weeks ago and ended up having to have a forceps delivery and an episiotomy. I have got 2 external stitches and I'm unsure how many internal. I was just wandering how long the cuts take to completely heal? I have been taking a bath each evening in lavender oil as I have been told this helps the healing process. The stitches aren't hurting as such but sometimes rub on my pad and can be uncomfortable and I'm also scared of catching them when I go to the toilet and wipe.

If you have had an episiotomy, how long did your stitches take to heal?

Hi there,

Mine took about 6-7 weeks to stop aching and to completely heal. Keep taking those baths; they help tremendously! Also, and this is very weird I know, my doc told me to blow dry the area for the first few weeks and not to pat dry with a towel to reduce the risk of infection...!

The stitches fell off by week 4-5 and then it just took one or two weeks for the whole area to heal completely...

Zondon

Hi there,

Mine took about 6-7 weeks to stop aching and to completely heal. Keep taking those baths; they help tremendously! Also, and this is very weird I know, my doc told me to blow dry the area for the first few weeks and not to pat dry with a towel to reduce the risk of infection...!

The stitches fell off by week 4-5 and then it just took one or two weeks for the whole area to heal completely...

Zondon

Thank you for your reply. I will definitely keep taking the baths, they are so relaxing and I love the smell of lavender oil. I have also been told to use tea tree but I'm not too keen on the smell of that. My midwife told me to use a hair dryer too. Were you told not to use soap?

Hi there,

Zondon

I had forceps and episiotomy 10 days ago and feel a constant aching down below but my scar doesn't hurt as much as the ache does. The ache is driving me mad especially when walking is this the stitches? Can stitches ache?

I gave birth almost 3 weeks ago and ended up having to have a forceps delivery and an episiotomy. I have got 2 external stitches and I'm unsure how many internal. I was just wandering how long the cuts take to completely heal? I have been taking a bath each evening in lavender oil as I have been told this helps the healing process. The stitches aren't hurting as such but sometimes rub on my pad and can be uncomfortable and I'm also scared of catching them when I go to the toilet and wipe.

If you have had an episiotomy, how long did your stitches take to heal?

Hello :) stalking this thread. We both had forceps and episiotomy ... Poor us!! Never imagined having to go through this after delivery i guess I was a bit naive and thought its be easy once he was here x

My stitches has dissolved by about 2 weeks and wound completely healed by about 4 weeks. Some of my stitches dissolved before the skin healed together but just keep the area clean and dry. The ache is terrible and if I sat down funny it would hurt. But it does get better. I now don't feel any different down there and there is no pain what so ever

I was about 5 weeks before I felt totally normal down there. I had tea tree and salt baths,the salt actually really helped the pain? Not sure how it works think its an old wife's tale but well worth a go,toss some salt in too :) x

Tea tree and hairdryer is a must! By 6 weeks it should be "healed" but it will ache for quite some time after xx

I didn't even have an episiotomy or even a big tear and I was sore for a while. I only had a couple internal stitches and I was sore for a few weeks. It hurt to sit, go to the bathroom, etc.

I had a shitload of internal stiches that I don't know if they are healing, but the external stitch I could see fell off one day while wiping after a pee on my 3rd week pp.
It doesn't hurt at all anymore, but it does feel weird down there.
the midwives at the hospital were giving me pads w/ Burow's solution to make it feel better. It really helps, so I have a bottle at home too. Sometimes I would get a hot burning sensation and the solution would make it go away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->