Erin Rae Canavan - born 7th November

AC81

Proud mum of 2
Reaction score
So I finally have a few minutes spare now to write my birth story. I've been looking forward to doing this because it was such a special and amazing experience and I don't want to forget a thing about the day my little girl came into the world.

We were due in for a c-section on Friday 7th November as Erin was breech, with her feet presenting first, so they wouldn't even let me attempt to deliver her (not that I would have wanted to risk her safety in anyway). I was pretty disappointed to be honest that I'd need a section as strangely enough I was really looking forward to the whole birthing experience and going into labour, so was sad when I found out that this wouldn't be happening for me. Instead of spending my last 2 weeks of pregnancy looking forward to my baby, I spent much of it upset and disappointed at how things had turned out.

Anyway, Thursday, hubby kept me busy trying to take my mind off the following day as he knew how nervous I was about the procedure, having never been into hospital for anything. I had spent the previous 2 weeks terrified of what was to come, whilst still trying to be excited about meeting my baby. I went to bed on Thursday night at midnight, knowing I should have gone a little earlier, but too anxious to really sleep, plus our central heating had decided to pack it in that night! Anyway, my alarm was set for 5am the following morning and we were due at the hospital for 7.30am. I had gotten up for the toilet at 4.30 thinking only half an hour of sleep left. By 5am I sat up to turn my alarm off and my waters broke! I stood up, told hubby to turn the light on and hobbled, legs crossed to the bathroom where they went everywhere. I was in labour and so excited!! :happydance:

My contractions started immediatly and were about 5mins apart. I rang the delivery suite and they said to make my way over as soon as I could and also to check that I had no little feet hanging down! I had a quick shower (and I'm ashamed to say, insisted on straightening my hair in between contractions). We were at the hospital for about 6.10 that morning and they put me on a monitor thing, all the while my contractions were getting closer together and really strong. The midwife on duty told me not to worry, it was my first baby so I wouldn't be dilating very quickly, she said they'd probably just let me wait it out until it was time for the section anyway, as the doctors would be arriving at 8.30-9.00 so could just do me then. By this point my contractions were really painful and I felt like such a wimp I couldn't handle them! At one point I ripped the monitor thing off me just so I could kneel down on the floor which was all I wanted to do, not be stuck laying flat on my back. Finally a doctor appeared at about 6.45ish to examine me. They had to check if baby was still breech, and she was, but she couldn't see much as all my waters had just about gone. She asked me to strip my pants off for an internal, again more waters everywhere and my plug fell out too, which I didn't see, but my husband did (he told me all about it later on). Anyway, she examined me and I was 3-4cm dilated and she could already feel the baby's feet! She told me that I couldn't wait and they needed to get her out as soon as possible. She also said it was a good sign for future pregnancies at how fast I had dilated!

It all happened so quick that I had no chance to even really get nervous about the experience. The team they had there were amazing, such a lovely group of people (I'm so glad I had a different anaethetist (sp) to the one I'd met at the pre-op - as he was a miserable old fart). Anyway they gave me the spinal, which I thought would feel like I had literally no legs, but instead it just made me feel really tired and heavy, like I was lying in bed and was about to nod off to sleep. About 10 mins later at 7.33am, after some pushing and pulling around inside me, a doctor appeared with my beautiful little girl! Wow, what a feeling that is, seeing your baby for the first time. She breathed on her own too! My husband cut the cord and she was weighed - a perfect 7lbs and a head full of beautiful hair. She was given to me straight away to hold, the lovely midwife undid my gown as much as she could so that we could have skin to skin and I got to look at her, smell her and get to know her while they stitched me up.

The whole thing was such an amazing and wonderful experience. I may not have had the labour that I'd originally envisaged, but it was just great. I can't believe that my little girl is nearly a week old now. I still can't take my eyes off her.

Good luck to everyone who is due soon, it will be a day you'll never forget.

congrats, shes gorgeous x

Ahh congratulations! She's lovely!x

congratulations hun she is gorgeous

Lou
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member