Esmé Iris, born 15.10.09 (Long!)

Louisandcoco

Reaction score
A bit long, and nearly a month late!

My contractions started at 5.10am on 13th October. On and off during the day. Had a long walk with hubby to Tesco and walked up and down every aisle. Came home and made cakes. Did rude things before bed in the hope of making her come out.

At 1.30am on 14th October went for a wee. Got back into bed and had a massive contraction. I Ignored it and turned over - as I did my waters broke. It was like something out of a comedy. I expected a trickle but no it was a waterfall. All over the bed, the carpet, the hallway, the bathroom.

Hubby made sure the car front seat was protected with a massive plastic bag and 2 towels and we went to hospital. Stayed in hospital til 9am when they decided after monitoring heartbeat etc that she wasn't coming anytime soon and sent me home. I had to check temperature, colour of water & baby movements every 4 hours.

Me and hubby made the most of being able to sleep and got our heads down. At 5 we had Chinese but I felt awful. Pains in my back were getting worse. I also felt like I wasn't there. For some reason I flashed my left boob at my mum as it "felt funny".

At half 7 I went back to hospital as I was in too much pain. The hospital monitored me (again) and hubby had to ask them for some kind of pain relief as they wouldn't offer me any. They gave me 2 co codomal tablets and told me to have a bath. I was sick in the bath as I was in so much pain.

They sent hubby home at 1.15am on the 15th and told me to get some sleep. By this point I was bleeding and too scared to go to the toilet as everytime I went the contractions hurt more. So I stopped drinking. I was again monitored,this time for 2 hours, and left completely alone in pain. Everytime a contraction came I had to grab the back of the bed with both hands and squeeze it. As she was lying back to back it made the pain worse.
She started getting distressed and 2 midwives were looking at the CTG monitor working out what to do. There deciding was to go off and whisper to each other at the end of the ward! They decided I was still alright and left me. In my labour notes they'd put that I was low risk at 7.20am and was only 2cm dilated.

At 7.30, the changeover happened and the midwife who saw me then looked at the ctg, saw how much pain I was in and decided I was high risk. She asked me what they wanted me to do. I asked for an epidural and to be induced.

I was moved off the ward and into a labour room.I had a wee and then started on my gas and air - which was amazing!!! It eased the pain and made me feel drunk! I had to text hubby to tell him to come as I felt woozy and couldn't speak. When I looked back at the text it made no sense at all!

I can't remember what happened between then and hubby arriving but I did manage to change into a pink gown as the midwife had got me one which coordiates with my pj bottoms!

When hubby arrived the anethatist wasn't far behind. My contractions were getting worse now and as I had to stay completey still I couldn't tell them when I was having a contraction so hubby had to guess and tell them! They then put a massive sticky sheet over my back to keep the needle in.

As I hadn't eaten or drunk for so long I had to go on a drip and have a catheter inserted. Yuk. The drip being inserted hurt more than anything else. I was also monitored for Esmé's heartbeat over my tummy so I couldn't move at all.
She was also lay back to back so the registrar came in and tried to turn her.
The drip to speed up the contractions was also turned up-from x3 to x24.

Esmé was in distress so she had to have blood taken from her head whilst still in me. Me and hubby had to agreeto this being done. She also had a little monitor stuck on her head to measure her heart.

I was very thirsty by this point and I tried to drink some water. Bad idea because as soon as I did I was sick everywhere. Hubby tried to catch it in his hand bless him.

The registrar told me that we had to think about possibly having a c section if she carried on being distressed. A student midwife also came in as she needed to witness a high risk birth. I don't remember too much from here on I think too little sleep etc took it's toll. Although the Registrar did say something along the lines of I had an hour to get the baby out otherwise I was being taken to theatre and having her cut out of me.

Eventually at 2.16 pm she arrived, weighing 8lb3oz. She had the cord over her neck and was covered in meconium so was looked at straight away by a pediatrician. As she didn't cry I had to ask if she was ok. They sucked out her airway and then she cried. She was cleaned up and passed to me - and was absolutely beautiful!:cloud9:

Hubby said it was more stressful seeing Esmé be born then spending 7 months in Afghanistan! Nearly a month later, she is a little diva. She has her daddy's eyes, and my mouth and nose. Even getting 5 hours sleep a night is worth it for her. And if you've managed to read all this, I owe you a drink!

Congratulations, she us gorgeous and i love her name

Congratulations! She is beautiful! xx

Congratulations, great story and a beautiful baby! x

Congratulations, lovely name for such a cute baby x x x

She's absolutely beautiful...congrats.
PS: I read the whole thing so you'll have to mail my drink :haha:

Congrats! It's great that it all turned out well in the end, but shame on those midwifes that let you suffer for so long.

Thanks everyone.

Pato- I'll snail mail your drink. It should arrive just after your LO!

I did mention to the community midwife how shoddy the night staff were on the ward but she said it was due to them being short staffed. It hasn't put me off though- still want 3 more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->