Essential oils

tazgirl

1 boy, 1 girl, blessed :)
Reaction score
As a complete newbie to aromatherapy I would like some guidance on what oils I should be looking at for labour and birth and in what way they should be used, ie massage, in a burner, in the bath etc

Thanks in advance for any information :thumbup:

I plan to have lavendar and clary sage in an oil burner during labour :)

Do you put them in together or in separate burners?

Also they are just used neat in a burner?

Yes they are stupid questions probably lol

I've always put water in an oil burner (the kind with the candle underneath) and then added a few drops of each oil. Some others might do it differently though :)

ive bought a neroli and lavender room diffuser from waitrose. i thought a diffuser would be a good idea incase i end up in hospital as some hospitals dont allow candles.
i also bought a neroli and jasmin body mist from body shop but i probably wont use this now as im worried ill go abit OTT with the new scents plus i dont want too much scent on me when i recieve baby for skin to skin.

Lavender is good, clary sage helps you contract so be careful! I started using it as a massage oil the week before my due date, LO was born 6 days later ;) x

how did you use the oil neat or mixed with some thing ? :)

It is often a good idea to visit an aromatherapist qualified in treating during pregnancy, or buy a blend specifically mixed to use in pregnancy and labour. Some essential oils are dangerous to use in pregnancy:
https://www.naturalbloom.com/articles/aromatherapy-47/

Never use essential oil directly on your skin, it needs diluting in a carrier oil like almond, grapeseed or olive oil.

It is also important not to add neat oil to your bath as it is unable to disperse. You can buy a dispersible bath milk base, or use a small amount of milk and honey with a few drops of your chosen oil mixed thoroughly added to your bath.

Essential oils are so yummy! (To smell, not to eat of course!)

Clary Sage is excellent for in labour, but best not used until you are where you plan to give birth, as it can be fast acting, especially if you use it with a massage base oil and apply it straight to your skin. It has a strange but lovely scent and even has euphoric properties- so don't use too much incase it makes you giddy!

Using more than one oil at a time may well leave you feeling overwhelmed by them, I once over used geranium oil and to this day I can not stand it at all!

Jasmine can have hypnotic properties, and it is very very strong especially if you have the pure stuff. Its good for the third stage, and when I had my first I was given a warm jasmine compress by my midwife and that helped the placenta come away nicely.

Neroli in its pure form is amazing, but its another euphoric and I would not recommend using it with clary or Jasmine- might space you out!

No point at all taking a burner to a hospital, they won't let you light a candle at all. Radiator diffusers are good, and if you don't have one of those then a cup of hot water with a few drops of oil in will fill the room with its scent.

Read the ingredients on any essential oil products, to make sure its the actual oil used in them and not a fragrance, as the fragrances have no therapeutic properties at all.

My birth oils will be Clary Sage and Jasmine, and my oils for recovery shall be Lavender and Tea Tree, which I add to my baths after birth to help with the healing of my twinkle, and also for their antiseptic properties.

When using Essential Oils, keep in ind that a great many plants/flowers/roots/seeds have gone into making just a single drop- they are strong, and a little amount will always suffice. :hugs:

I used clary sage and lavender at home - mixed with oil on the bump for a nice massage or in the bath.

At hospital I was given clary sage and something else - again in the bath

Yes.. oil is very essential.. i used with lavender and it will reduce such pains.. have it and test with yourselves.. :)

Essential oils are so yummy! (To smell, not to eat of course!)

Clary Sage is excellent for in labour, but best not used until you are where you plan to give birth, as it can be fast acting, especially if you use it with a massage base oil and apply it straight to your skin. It has a strange but lovely scent and even has euphoric properties- so don't use too much incase it makes you giddy!

Using more than one oil at a time may well leave you feeling overwhelmed by them, I once over used geranium oil and to this day I can not stand it at all!

Jasmine can have hypnotic properties, and it is very very strong especially if you have the pure stuff. Its good for the third stage, and when I had my first I was given a warm jasmine compress by my midwife and that helped the placenta come away nicely.

Neroli in its pure form is amazing, but its another euphoric and I would not recommend using it with clary or Jasmine- might space you out!

No point at all taking a burner to a hospital, they won't let you light a candle at all. Radiator diffusers are good, and if you don't have one of those then a cup of hot water with a few drops of oil in will fill the room with its scent.

Read the ingredients on any essential oil products, to make sure its the actual oil used in them and not a fragrance, as the fragrances have no therapeutic properties at all.

My birth oils will be Clary Sage and Jasmine, and my oils for recovery shall be Lavender and Tea Tree, which I add to my baths after birth to help with the healing of my twinkle, and also for their antiseptic properties.

When using Essential Oils, keep in ind that a great many plants/flowers/roots/seeds have gone into making just a single drop- they are strong, and a little amount will always suffice. :hugs:

thanks for this!! so very helpful, i love the smell of sage. looking forward to using it in the end of pregnancy and early labor. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->