Estimated Fetal Weight by Growth Scan/ Actual Fetal Weight at Birth?

ambertwogood

The Twogood's
Reaction score
So, I was wondering for those of you that were given an estimated weight previously to actually giving birth whether they were right and if they weren't which direction were they wrong in? Did your baby end up being bigger or smaller than they had originally predicted? My little one is estimated to be between 5-6 lbs at 40weeks, I know the growth scans can be off I'm just wondering in which direction it usually goes....:shrug:

With my first pregnancy my original doctor told me my baby was small and was probably going to be about 2.9kg (6.4lbs). I delivered at a different hospital and when I was actually in labour the doctor laughed and said no baby was going to be more like 3.5kg (7.7lbs). She was 3.25kg (7.2lbs) in the end.

My lg was measuring big so I had a growth scan at 36 weeks which said she was 7lbs 13oz. They estimated she would 10lb at 40 weeks. She was 9lb6oz at 40+8 so she was smaller than they thought, although not too much. This time bubs was apparently 5lbs7oz at 32 weeks...so in line to be a whopper, hopefully, they are inaccurate again!

7 days before delivery, he measured 8lbs exactly and was 7lbs 12oz when he was born.

DS was 2lbs heavier than estimated, DD was about the weight predicted.

I was havin growth scans every weeks as they said my baby was to small lol she turned out heavier than my other babies at 7lb 9oz lol all that worry for nothing . Xx

I was told to expect about 8lbs. She was ten days overdue, and weighed 9lb 10oz.

With DD they had estimated her birth weight would be 7lbs at my 32 week ultrasound. She was 7lbs2oz at birth (born at 40 +1). I think they base their estimation on the fact that the average baby will gain half a pound a week in the last 2 months of pregnancy. In my case, she must have weighed 3 pounds at 32 week, hense the 7 lbs estimation for her birth weight (assuming she would be born at 40 weeks).

If the baby's birth weight turns out to be way off the estimate, it can be because they miscalculated the baby's actual weight during a scan, because the baby gained more or less than the average half pound a week or because the baby was born before or after his or her due date.

Mine was way off. The u/s said 9-10 pounds and he ended up at 6 pounds 10 ounces and was 10 days late. I was given a guess yesterday of 8 pounds 1 ounce. We'll see. Tomorrow I will be induced, but after my last baby I really don't put much trust in the guesses! My technician also warned me that it could be way off.

Well, they have officially scared the poo out ta me, lol. I bought preemie diapers and clothing and have it packed in my hospital bag along with some newborn size stuff. I wanted to be prepared. One of my gf's said they told her that LO was 6.5 and she ended up only being 4.5! 2 lb difference, yikes! Hopefully they are under estimating her but it looks like it normally is an over estimation and the Leo's end up being smaller than predicted.

Had US 2 days before I was induced and gave birth. Estimated at 7. 5 lbs, born at 9 lbs ( a little over 9) so it can be off either way... I feel like more often than not they are off by a pound, more than they are within a pound!
Best wishes

My son was estimated to be 6/7 ibs 18in as he was 5 ibs at a 36 week scan, but he came out 7ib13 20" Hes quite stalky, he's husky built with short legs so I think based off measurements alone it was pretty accurate, he's not chubby at all but he's already 19 ibs 27" at 4.5 months because he's just thick if that makes sense. Ultrasounds can't take that into consideration.

Yes mine was reasonably accurate. I wasn't given a weight but was told small baby with a big head which was true!

ETA that was from a growth scan, my bump was massive! Turned out to be loads of water.

With DD2 I was examined by my midwife on my due date and she commented on how petite my bump was. Her exact words were "Oh that's a nice size baby just over 7lbs I would say". I had a homebirth and the same midwife delivered her 5 days later, she nearly fell over with shock when she weighed her to find she was actually 9lbs 3ozs! We all fell about laughing!

My Ds measured 9lbs. 5 oz. at 40 weeks and was born two days later at 8lbs. 3oz. She said her estimates are usually give or take a pound.

My lo was preemie. At 33+5 estimated fetal weight was 4 lbs 10oz she was born a week later at 34+5 weighing 5lb 1oz. So pretty accurate.
My friend was told to expect average size 7.5lbs and her lo ended up being 4 lbs 1 oz at 40 weeks.
It really can go either way.

My LO was a preemie, born at 33+5, estimated 4.5lbs at 33+3, born 3lb15oz, so close but on smaller side.

Preemie diapers and newborn diapers are the same size, newborn are just thicker. The hospital should have all the diapers you need, they gave us extra to take home!

At 40+5 my son was estimated to weigh 3.6kg (about 7lbs 4oz) and he arrived 24 hours later weighing exactly that.

At 36 weeks they said my daughter was about 7lbs 2oz and would end up over 9lbs at birth. I had her at 39+2 and she was 3.6kg/7lbs 15oz.

i had a growth scan at 38 wks, they wouldn't tell me an estimated weight as they said its too inaccuate however i had the abdominal circumference so i checked the percentile for that then worked out the weight for that percentile which was 3.4kg, 7lb 8oz and when lo was born 3 days later he was exactly that!

However, my friend was told her baby was going to be about 13lb and she was just over 7lb when she was born!

I was told LO was 8.5lbs at 38 week growth scan. They estimated 9.5 - 10lbs at birth. LO was born at 40weeks2days weighing 7lbs11oz!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->