Estimated Fetal Weight by Growth Scan/ Actual Fetal Weight at Birth?

at 32 weeks i was told one of my twins was showing signs of IUGR they scanned again at 34 weeks and he had gained 12oz and said to be ok just little.... at 36+3 i was told my twins were both 6lb 4oz babies (clearly someone somewhere had mismeasured at some point).... 1 weeks later at 37+3 i gave birth to 1 x 6lb 5oz baby and a very tiny 5lb 2oz baby who had clearly been restricted with no meat on his bones at all! So glad i had my c-section scheduled as i dread to think what would have happened to him if we had gone on any longer. His cord was very flimsy when DH cut it! Don't take scans as gospel x

I was told my DD would be no bigger than 6.5lbs. She was 8lb 2oz

My LO was estimated to be 3.7kg and he was born weighing 3.9kg.

I had a scan on the Monday estimated to be 7.9 had her on the Thursday and she was 6.12

This is so reassuring to me who is petrified of the massive baby they have predicted for me at a growth scan 2 weeks ago at 36 weeks my baby apparently weighed 7lb13oz - I have another scan today so we will see what that says...

They guessed 5lb 12 oz with my daughter the day before she was induced... Born two days later at 5lb 12.5oz. If say pretty unusually spot on!

with my son I was told he would be 7 pounds at 40+ 4he was born at 41 weeks weighing in at 9 pounds with this baby the havent told me his estimated weight but that he is a 'good sized baby' whatever that means!

Today`s growth scan said that my baby currently weighs 9lbs...

DD was predicted weight, 7, 12. DS was predicted as 7,7 based on scans and fundal measurement and he was 9lb 1oz!

I had an ultrasound the day I went into labour. They estimated she was about 8 lbs. She was born 16 hours later at 6lbs 8 oz, so pretty far off! But she was very long.

I also had a very long baby. They told me DS would be at *least* 10 lbs (estimate the day before he was born), the doc was a little worried about the size but DS was 7 lbs 15 oz... 22 inches long

His length was what made them estimate he would be so heavy. Did they tell you what method they are using to base their estimate off?

My first ds they always ridiculously over estimated him. At 32 weeks they said he was already close to 6lbs. He was born at 36+2 weighing 6lbs 5oz.

With ds2, I had a growth scan at 35 weeks. They estimated he was 6lbs 11oz at that time. He was born at 37+2 weighing 6lb 11oz! :)

My mom thought the ultrasounds would be so accurate this time but I knew my baby wouldn't be huge.

I also had a very long baby. They told me DS would be at *least* 10 lbs (estimate the day before he was born), the doc was a little worried about the size but DS was 7 lbs 15 oz... 22 inches long

His length was what made them estimate he would be so heavy. Did they tell you what method they are using to base their estimate off?

The growth scan all together I'm guessing. I know lo's legs are quite short but they haven't said anything about how they come up with the estimated weight. They measure her femur, arm bones, abdomen, and head so I'm guessing its all of the combined. I have noticed though that when I can feel her body on the outside she just seems incredibly small.....like tiny.:shrug:

OK- so the last time they took my baby's measurements I asked the doc about the graphs they were showing me, this baby's femur length is way off the chart (like her brother). Doc showed me that there are 3 standard ways that this particular clinic (I'm not sure how it is elsewhere) average out the measurements to predict the weight of the baby. The standard one they use takes the average of 4 measurements- abdominal circumference [AC], femur length [FL], biparietal diameter [BPD] and head circumference [HC].

Because my baby's FL is super long the average was skewed and the weight estimate was high. When the doc switched the calc to one of the methods that doesn't include FL the weight estimate dropped substantially; while they are long the little chicken leggys don't weigh very much...Maybe your estimates are having the opposite problem- short legs are bringing the average down.

I don't put too much focus on the numbers they give. I would be concerned if baby had been measuring in the 95th percentile and then all of a sudden was in the 24th or some drastic change like that.

If your LO has been measuring relatively consistently you probably just have a petite baby. Focus on eating healthy and getting through the last few weeks. There are plenty of very healthy small babies. Can you talk to your Doc or MW for reassurance? You can ask to see your records too, if that would help ease your mind- they are *your* records. :hugs:

OK- so the last time they took my baby's measurements I asked the doc about the graphs they were showing me, this baby's femur length is way off the chart (like her brother). Doc showed me that there are 3 standard ways that this particular clinic (I'm not sure how it is elsewhere) average out the measurements to predict the weight of the baby. The standard one they use takes the average of 4 measurements- abdominal circumference [AC], femur length [FL], biparietal diameter [BPD] and head circumference [HC].

Because my baby's FL is super long the average was skewed and the weight estimate was high. When the doc switched the calc to one of the methods that doesn't include FL the weight estimate dropped substantially; while they are long the little chicken leggys don't weigh very much...Maybe your estimates are having the opposite problem- short legs are bringing the average down.

I don't put too much focus on the numbers they give. I would be concerned if baby had been measuring in the 95th percentile and then all of a sudden was in the 24th or some drastic change like that.

If your LO has been measuring relatively consistently you probably just have a petite baby. Focus on eating healthy and getting through the last few weeks. There are plenty of very healthy small babies. Can you talk to your Doc or MW for reassurance? You can ask to see your records too, if that would help ease your mind- they are *your* records. :hugs:

I already have all my graphs/us reports. I request a copy after everyone done. The growth scan I had done on 1/6 estimated her at 5.3 lbs and she was 33%tile that was at 34 weeks. Then on the 26th at 37.4 weeks she was estimated to be 5.13 lbs and had dropped to 13th%tile. A drastic slowing in growth/weight gain. Her legs do bring down her over all %tile as they are only in the 3rd% but they they have consistently been like that. Her overall % has been in the 30-20 range the entire pregnancy except one that recorded 53% but that was a different on with dif equipment that is no where near as good as my hrob so I'm pretty sure it was just a bad us. How do you look at the other ways they predict weight? I have all my measurements handy.:winkwink:

Sorry, I'm not sure what measurements the other methods use or what they are called, all my doc did was change the option in a drop down menu. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->