Eternity ring?

Kians_Mummy

Mummy to Kian & an angel
Reaction score
OH has seen a gorgeous ring (in his words) he wants to get me for Christmas but he said the only problem is that it's an eternity ring. He likes the idea of if as he was to be together forever :)dohh: but ott in my eyes haha) but says he can't because we're not married yet.

Can you only get eternity ring if your married? Anyone out there got one when they are not married?

I think it's suppose to be a traditional gift when you've had your first child... In the "old days" you would most likely be married, yes. I've not got one from my hubby though. However, in these days, I don't think it's important if you're married or not to have one. My mum bought me one for my 21st, so nothing to do with marriage!

Me and my dh bought commitment rings not long after getting together. Maybe this could be your version of this. My engagement ring is what the shop labelled a eternity ring, so i dont think it really matters what you wear the ring for. X

Traditionally u get an eternity ring when u get pregnant with your first baby x

Yeh i agree with the above, my husband gave me my eternioty ring after we were married and after the birth of our first :)

I thought eternity rings were for when you had your first child. I didn't think you had to be married :flower: I just thought they went on after your engagement and wedding ring though.

Oh i dunno about the marriage part, its just how it happened for us :)

Its ment to symbolise the birth of your first son to show your joined together eternaly you dont need to be married.
I had one before we where married but didnt know about the tradition so I left it off till after brian was born but dont wear it anymore

An eternity ring is a lady's ring, worn on the hand, comprising a band of precious metal (usually gold) set with a continuous line of identically cut gemstones (usually diamonds) to symbolize never-ending love, usually given from a husband to his wife on the occasion of a significant anniversary.
Because the presence of stones all the way round the eternity ring can make it cumbersome to wear, the alternative is to have the stones across the face of the ring only. This is sometimes referred to as a "half-eternity" ring rather than a "full" eternity ring.
The concept of the eternity ring was created in the 1960s by diamond merchant De Beers. Edward Jay Epstein stated that at the time the company had a secret agreement with the Soviet Union which, in return for the creation of a "single channel" controlling the world's supply of diamonds, 'required' the purchase of 90-95% of the uncut gem diamonds produced by Russia. The current fashion, particularly for engagement rings, was for a single, large diamond. The Soviet gems, however, were small. To avoid stockpiling, De Beers embarked on a campaign of promotion of jewelry containing a number of small diamonds culminating in the eternity ring, which was aimed at older, married women. One campaign slogan, aimed at husbands, was "She married you for richer or poorer. Let her know how it’s going."

My OH got me an eternity ring for the 1st xmas we were dating, at that point we were not engaged, or I want pregnant.

I dont think it matters if you like it xxx

I thought it was supposed to be given for your 1st wedding anniversary/the birth of your 1st child - whichever came first

but im still waiting for mine & ive been married nearly 5yrs :dohh:

I know a few people that chose eternity rings rather than engagement rings so it doesnt really matter what the occasion is... its the sentiment behind it that matters IMO

Its a lovely idea so if you both like it then go for it hun xx

I've always known it to be a ring you give your wife after a big event such as a birth or anniversary, its a band with diamonds all around it and is a sign of continuing love, but it is just a ring and its up to you what it represents :flower:

its treditional but my nan said to me when i was engaged to a ex that i could have a eternity ring then :S but im not sure u should tell him to never mind the eternity ring he should get u a engagment ring and a wedding band lol thats if ur not engaged already xx

Is anyone going to notice its an eternity ring? I mean if he likes it and thinks you'll like it then I wouldnt see the harm in it. Many people go against the grain and dont get a 'wedding ring' (as labeled by jewllery shops) and just get a 'normal' ring that they like. :thumbup:

My wedding ring is an eternity style ring and (if ever) my DH ever gave me an eternity ring I would like one with just 2 or 3 diamonds in so it would look more like another engagement ring but i think it'd make a nice set with my other two rings. also, my best friend is getting engaged and she's chosen an eternity style ring for het engagement ring.

It doesn't really matter these days, no one would bat an eye if you wore an "eternity" ring as a normal ring.

I've always thought of eternity rings to be the ring you get on your first wedding anniversary. However I do know a few people who are in long term relationships and have an eternity ring without being married :)

I think it was a lovely thought from him. :flower:

I've been married for 2 years.. we spend so much on gift this year for family that we'll have to wait for next year maybe haha

a rings just a ring to me, sod tradition!

I think traditionally it's for when you have your first child, but at the end of the day if it's a lovely ring that he wants to give you as a gift, it doesn't matter about it's title. I would say go for it and never mind about tradition.

I always thought an Eternity Ring was given on the first anniversary. Saying that, I never got one on our anniversary nor when either son was born.

I think tbh, a ring's a ring. It's whatever you decide it to be. If you & OH are happy to get it, then why not? :shrug:

I wear 3 rings, engagement (diamond solitaire), wedding ring (plain white gold band) & a sapphire solitaire which was given to me by my parents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->