Evening crying.... I'm about ready to quit....

LegoHouse

Mummy of one of each <3
Reaction score
Every single night since he was born my baby has screamed from 6pm until 10pm. The rest of the night and all day he is fine. Just this period in the evening. He screams and fusses and latches on and off all evening. I'm alone most evenings as my OH works until midnight-ish so bed time is reaaaaally hard. My other two children need me too :( Why is he crying in the evenings and will it ever end???

Have you tried babywearing with a stretchy wrap at all? That was our only savior during the newborn evening witching hour......I can't imagine it with two other children. :hugs:
It puts them in a swaddle next to your body where they can hear your heart and voice and you can go hands free (look up newborn hug hold).
I made my own 'moby' out of cheap fabric (jersey knit) from the fabric store.

I have a stretchy wrap. I've never thought to use it indoors. I will give it a go :)

Like I said for us it was a godsend. My son falls victim to the Bum Pat every time so I would stick him in....pat the bum...keep on walking around the house until he gave in to the sleepy. Worked every time....
Good luck! Don't worry if he fusses when he's going in. Give it five minutes or so and he'll give in.

Wesley used to do this every night too. Its a right pain! I used to have a little distracting routine that kept him busy. Each activity I did until he got fed up and started to get grumpy then I'd quickly move on to the next activity. As soon as the crying started I whisked him away into the bath (he never cries in the bath), then i would talk to him while drying him until he got annoyed with that, then it was downstairs for a massage till he got annoyed with that, followed by into his jammies and feed to sleep.

I used to get DD to help out with his routine to keep her happy too.

Wow, that sling sounds like a savior! I'll have to look into it. We deal with this every evening too between 5-10pm.

I get so upset. I almost take him to a&e. I'm scared I'm ignoring some kind of underlying illness x

It sounds like typical colic, but what colic actually is is really not known. They do grow out of it though, by about 12 weeks usually if it is colic. I doubt bfing is causing it, it would probably be the same with formula. Have you got family or friends who could at least help out once in a while? X

I'm right there with you LegoHouse! It's tough when there are other children to think of. I feel so guilty about DS1's bedtime being disrupted constantly. DS2 seems to be coming through it now, there are slightly more good evenings than bad, so there is light a at the end of the tunnel. Chin up, you're doing great x

Oh the memories... Babies fuss in the evening, the pediatrician says it is from all of the new things they see and do during the day, it is hard to process. It peaks at six weeks andstarts to get better at eight weeks. Hang in there momma!

It sounds like typical colic, but what colic actually is is really not known. They do grow out of it though, by about 12 weeks usually if it is colic. I doubt bfing is causing it, it would probably be the same with formula. Have you got family or friends who could at least help out once in a while? X

Agreed. My DS had colic and you could set your watch by his crying - 8pm - 11pm every night for weeks. Nothing really helps but if it is colic they usually grow out of it around 10-12weeks.

I feel your pain. I had this to with dd2 and was shocked by it as dd1 was a very settled baby. I wore my moby wrap all evening every evening for about 6 weeks. She would settle in it for a bit and then want a feed or a position change but without it I would never have been able to do dd1 tea or bedtime. Baby massage after dd1 had gone to bed helped break the cycle and help begin to start a bedtime routine.

Dd2 was also very unsettled at night sometimes and putting her in the sling and sleepily wandering around the house was the only thing that calmed her. She's 5 months now and evenings have been much better for the last 2 months. She still has the odd one but mostly ok. Hang in there

Upright against your body in the wrap is very soothing for an upset tummy, the pressure and position on baby's body is great for getting rid of any trapped wind/gas.

So the 4 hour crying has definitely been reduced by the carrier but the hour or so he's unsettled and upset is still heartbreaking. I can't wait for it to end :(

It's completely normal and not from breastfeeding. Majority of babies go through this. Both my breastfed and formula fed children did.

https://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/

Yup, colic. Such awful memories. Stretchy wrap helped a bit for us too, but it was massively reduced by 13w. I thought it would never end, but it soon passes. I think it's a lot more common in boys.

So the 4 hour crying has definitely been reduced by the carrier but the hour or so he's unsettled and upset is still heartbreaking. I can't wait for it to end :(

Keep at it you are doing great :hugs:
I hope the wrap continues to help reduce the time. By three months my son quiets his crying when he sees me bring out the wrap.

We went through this it is just awful but it does end ladies :hugs: things were better around here by about 2 months old

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->