Exclusive home cooking?

thelilbump

♥ mummy to a princess ♥
Reaction score
Anyone else give entriely home made foods? I was just wonder following a conversation i had with a friend yesterday. She thought i was crazy that everything i give my daughter has been home made by me (apart from bread, yogurts that type of thing). I make everything from her breakfast which is porridge oats with different previously made fruit purees right through to her dinner and pudding. My daughter has never had a jarred meal, the closest she's come is the boxed breakfast cereals and that's only because i struggled to find regular gluten free cereal she could have before 6 months.

Am i crazy?? Please someone tell me i'm not alone...:blush:

I have just moved to about 95% homemade. We have 2 of the 10m+ meals by Plum that I have in the cupboard for if we go out at tea time and it's not planned. TBH I find making it myself really easy. She has porridge....well I do too so no biggy, then fruit and a yogurt (OK that's not homemade) at lunch, then a homemade tea. I make enough for 2 servings of the same thing so she has teh same tea 2 nights running. Tonight she had sweet potatoe, squash, broccolli, spud and cheese sauce - veg just thrown in the steamer and hubby knocked up the cheese sauce when he came home.

:D

ooo that sounds yummy! we had cottage pie i made this afternnon :munch:

Do you use proper mince? I'm still hanging back on meat.....I dont eat it so I'm feeling a bit weird about giving it to her.....

i do yes. it's really easy to do. just cook as normal and i'll whizz it up a little in blender. chickens a bit tougher to get small bits, best way i found is crumbling in fingers takes ages tho. Do you plan on giving her meat then? i don't think it's neccesary as long as they get the protein from other sources.

We are exclusively homemade !!

Apart from as you say the boxed cereals until he is 6 months, Im glad to say so far he seems to love mommys cooking :happydance:

No it's not crazy!

It's what I do too and it is easy for me because I cook our dinners from scratch anyway. Mind you, my friend was like this until she went back to work Mon to Fri 9-5 ..... tis a bit harder then as you can imagine.

Not a single morsal of baby food has pssed Olivers lips!! It's just that I', happy cooking for him, so don't see the need to buy kiddy stuff. Whatch this all change when I go back to work though!!

I'm not sure if, for me personally anyway, it's related to breastfeeding and i feel it's my job to provide as daft as that might sound! I love cooking for my daughter...the OH on the other gets what he's given :rofl: :blush:

def not crazy!

I like making my own foods for her too!!! I use some jars and stuff sometimes, I just dont have the tim to make the variety sdhe needs.

Do you plan on giving her meat then? i don't think it's neccesary as long as they get the protein from other sources.

I'm undecided still......I dont think I'll be rushing to give her it. I dont eat it because I believe it's bad for you. Hubby and DD eat it because they always have - I was eating meat still when DD was little. They both eat veggie for about 60% of the time. I just cant bring myself to feed her something I'm not prepared to eat myself.

meat, fish and poultry are are very healthy for you... everyone is free to have their personal choice... but children also have a choice. I know of some families who force their children into being vegan... which I totally do not agree with... each to their own though.

I wouldnt force her Ryder. Emily eats meat and obviously she's old enough to decide if she wants to. I'd have no chance of stopping her!! She's a meat lover!! But Hebe cant decide for herself and until then I have to try to decide what's good for her dont I? So I believe it's not good for you, in particular red meats, so I'm not going to feel comfortable giving it to her. I suppose it's a bit like vaccinations. It depends what you read/believe as to how you approach it. If a mum isn't comfortable with everything concerning a vaccination, then she had every right to be uncomfortable giving it to her LO.

I think I'll likely give her some fish in the future - I dont have issues with small amounts of fish. I eat tuna from time to time so I feel comfortable with that. I havent eaten meat for years and I dont lack anything so I'm pretty confident I can give her a balanced diet without meat and poultry. She certainly isnt lacking anything right now at over 21lbs!! :D

your not crazy at all hun, i use breakfast baby cereal but in couple of weeks when she is 6 months will be giving her something else. we make all lunch and tea foods, i do give her maybe a jar a week if we are out and about more so because of transporting it etc i find where i put my bag on my pram would mean it would make a mess everywhere it i put it into a pot but i have just bought a new stroller so hopefully i will be able to take homemade meals

i didnt breastfeed hun but i still feel its my job to provide for her

Lou
xxx

def not crazy at all honey! maddi does have jars but i much prefer giving her my home cooked food. i really enjoy making her meals, though normally breakfast is porridge jar with home cooked fruit. like today she has home cooked pasta for lunch and sweet potato carrot and parsnip for tea. i normally do jar's of desserts/yoghurt's and fruit pots sometimes for easy, and she does have savoury jars, but i'm now def trying to go over to majority home cooked so she can start eating everything we do :) xx

katie's never had a jar. ihave considered it, when going out and stuff, and cos we have limited freezer space, it hink i told yu the other day!! last night i made her a whole bunch of meals, with fish and chicken for the first time!! chicken's on the menu for lunch in a minute!!

oh, she does have baby cereal (from a box) for breakfast, but she seems to be going off it atm, its iliterally a case of forcing it down her!! so i'm gona try porridge and see how that goes!

We make all Maley's food except for breakfast (she has mashed up fruit rusks).....though im going to buy some oats this week to do porridge.

We will give her meat when she has teeth because we dont really puree her food much (we like her to have lumps).

I just dont like the jars (i dont like the thought of the prerservatives etc). My mum gives her a jar when she looks after her and I havent brought any homemade but thats not often.

I think I'll likely give her some fish in the future - I dont have issues with small amounts of fish. I eat tuna from time to time so I feel comfortable with that. I havent eaten meat for years and I dont lack anything so I'm pretty confident I can give her a balanced diet without meat and poultry. She certainly isnt lacking anything right now at over 21lbs!! :D

I was wondering about tuna. Is it safe to give babies? I kno my hv said anything but peanuts and honey go after 6 months old but i still worry :dohh:

i was worried about tuna, with them saying you cant have too much when pregnant cos of the mercury i wondered how it could be safe?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->