Exclusive home cooking?

i was worried about tuna, with them saying you cant have too much when pregnant cos of the mercury i wondered how it could be safe?!

when i asked my mw how much was a safe amount to eat she said they advise no more than 3 cans a week so the allowance is quite high really imo.

How did katie like chicken? :hugs:

We gave elliot jars a lot to begin with, was just easier for me at the time. I cook a lot more now he's eating more.

I'm not going to give Hebe tuna yet - I agree if it's best avoided in pregnancy then probably not great for a LO. I'll try some white fish at some point. :)

Hi ladies - I am a daycare provider and currently pregnant. Happened to read this post & wanted to say that I make a lot of homemade baby food instead of using jars. It is cheaper -at least here in the states. If I make carrots for the bigger kids for lunch then I use my bullet blender to puree it for baby food. As the babies get a little older I will mash them & have chunks. It works well for hot dishes with noodles too. As far as the tuna - I am on a food program which is a government run thing over here for daycares and schools. They tell me not to feed infants fish (til they are 1 yr) They have said chicken, pork, beef, and cheeses are all good.
I plan to make my babies food too - at least you know whats in it then. I will also use regular applesauce, etc - as found with tasting that baby jar applesauce tastes very sour vs a good brand of natural applesauce.

i got told to have tuna no more than twice a week!

she wasnt too sure on the chicken, but we've been having problems with food, she's just not been taking it! i was telling my mum this just before she had her dinner tonight then she polished off the bloody lot!! i've got some cod meals made up too so we're having that at some point soon!!

i always home made rosies meals and so will rhys, i just think how you supposed to expect children to eat proper food when they've been started off on processed jar stuff that tastes nothing like it says on the label i mean granpa's sunday dinner lol as if...

i whack everything in a steamer, hand blitz it scoop into ice cube trays pop as i need them jobs a good'n, i do, sweet potato, butternutsquash, carot, parsnip, swede, broccilli, apple, pear, mango, you name it i dont mix loads together cos it just tastes of nothing then. its fun cheap and lots more healthy
x

I've always given Erin home-made food. She is a very good eater, there is nothing she doesn't like. I pureed everything when she was younger but now I mash it all with a potato masher to make it lumpier and thicker. Also pasta with homemade sauce is one of her favourites. She has fish (cod and salmon), chicken, pork, beef and lamb mixed with a variety of veg and loves it all. She also loves all fruit which I puree or now cut into small chunks. xx

I'm not sure if, for me personally anyway, it's related to breastfeeding and i feel it's my job to provide as daft as that might sound! I love cooking for my daughter...the OH on the other gets what he's given :rofl: :blush:

I know what you mean - this is how I feel too! Poppy has only ever had home made food too and for us, it's just what we prefer. My mum persuaded me to get a few 'jars' in early on, 'just in case,' so I have a few pouches of the Ella's Kitchen stuff in the cupboard. They are the 4m+ ones though so doubt I'll be giving them to her now, esp as people say they are almost like water they're so runny!

I must admit i do have 2 jars in the cupboard. They are only in case of emergencies, like the world turning in side out and being shot to the other side of the universe kind of emergency! They're stage 1 anyway so they not much good now anyway!

they are supposed to have a lot of extra hidden additives in them but that depedns what you beleive/feel. I think they're a bit expensive really aswell and home foods much tastier but that's just my opinion :hugs:

I think in the UK the rules are quite strict as to what can and can't go into baby jars eg colourings, flavourings etc etc so IMO it's quite different from the more nasty additives in eg a Rustler's microwave burger. There are many reasons why I prefer making my own baby food but worry about additives isn't one of them.

I will definitely be making all of her food from scratch. I feel very strongly about it as I failed at breastfeeding so I can at least get this right.

We are going to do baby led weaning tho so jars arent much good to me anyway. I think they would work out quite expensive too.

Aw i wanted to do baby led weaning originally but in the end i had to feed her myself as her weight gain was becoming an issue. good luck with it Sam!

my eldest two were fed on 100% homemade food. The jars are expensive and don't taste like the 'real' version of whatever they're supposed to be. I don't eat ready meals, so wouldn't give it to my baby!!

whats everyone's LO's favourite home made food? My girl loves spag bol, so much so she has double helpings every time :blush: :laugh2:

I only make homemade food for OH and I (unless we eat out) so I wouldn't give Niamh anything different. We're following BLW, so when she does wean she'll just be picking at our food anyway.

I made almost everything - i really enjoyed it. Got a baby puree/first foods book and made loads of stuff myself.

Did have the odd jar if we went out. I'm not totally against them but tbh they are really gross, have you tasted them? /puke

I liked the Ellas kitchen pouches better than jars.

One thing I do regret is giving her brought yoghurt. I have since tried to get her onto plain bio yogurt with our own added fruit and some honey, but she's not falling for that one, if it doesnt say peti fulou on the pot she's not interested lol -.-

keep an empty petit filous tub and put your home made yogurt in it...sneaky eh :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->