Expecting Baby2, when to move DS's room?

tommyg

Mum to Smurf & TTC
Reaction score
At the moment DS is in the smallest room in the house, which is also nearest our bedroom. I always planned he would move into a bigger room further away leaving his room for Baby.

It's too early for me to move rooms now (I'm only 9 weeks). Ideally I'd like the rooms to stay as they are until end of July for relations staying over night.

He starts school in mid August too, I'm slightly worried he will feel pushed out with moving rooms and starting school at the same time.

Baby due Christmas. When is the best time to move him room?

Unless its a timing issue where you really need to get it done before school starts, I would wait until after school starts. Let him get adjusted to school, then maybe transition a month or so later. That would still give you time before baby is born.
ETA: or I'd transition him to the new room right around when school starts, so the whole transition to school and new room happen at once and get it over with. He'll have plenty of time to adjust to both before baby is born.

I would tie it in with when he starts school explaining that now he's a big boy going to big school he deserves to have a big room so he can have more space for his toys, get him all excited and maybe let him choose a new colour to paint it etc but don't mention that the new baby will be having his small room then at half term is decorate his room for the new baby and ask him to pick some of the colours or things to go in the new baby's room.

First of all congrats :D Very happy for you!

And I would agree with PP, I think going to school, being a big boy and now having a big boy room would tie in together nicely and not feel like a pushing away at all but more like a promotion. And definitely do not mention that the little room will be baby's till you get ready to change it into a nursery some time much later down the line when he is used to his new room. Good luck :)

Thanks ladies I think we will do it as he starts school. Thanks also for pointing out we should leave time between sorting his new room and sorting babies.
Won't be much to pick for baby (I have most of my baby stuff) but I'll find some bits for him to pick.

Moving him at same time as school starting could go really well or really badly. This is a time when children settle amazingly or they feel like a fish out of water and regress in behaviours such as wetting the bed.

I think you could do well to talk to him around June time to ask him what he'd like to do (whether move when starts school, or before, or perhaps instead in the October half term?)

Yes I did initially worry that moving room at the same time could be a bit much. But really I think he is so ready for school that he will take to it like a duck to water.

I'd be really worried if he wet the bed, he has never wet it since he came out of nappies. The fact he was waking up with a dry nappy is what made me decide to potty train.

Normally I'd agree however I was thrown a curve ball myself on this very subject...tonight I have just resettled my middle child where she wet the bed! She is in reception and started bedwetting just before she went to school and it's continued in and off since. She was dry the last two weeks and suddenly tonight has wet again. She potty trained at 18 mths and was dry at night by 2 so to have her suddenly wetting the bed at 4 and half threw us and she loves school so I'm not sure if the two are linked but they do say they can be!

That is weird that a kid would suddenly start wetting the bed. Are you sure there isn't a physical reason?

Now you have me thinking do we leave it until he is in school a couple of months?

I know tell me about it!!! Nope no physical reason or any other reason that we can think of. We've been exploring cutting certain things out foods like colours but they don't seem linked either. It's baffling!

I'd probably just move now so he isn't having to deal with a room change and school starting at the same time and so he doesn't associate the change with the new baby. I would just have the relatives stay in the small room.

Edit: Doing it at the same time as school while framing it as a "big boy" room as others have suggested could also work, depending on what your kid is like.

Violet seems to have some apprehensions about starting preschool and I imagine for her, it would be too much to do a room change and school starting all at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->