Exposed to chicken pox...i've never had it...scared!

Bing28

Pregnant with #1
Reaction score
I've just found out my niece has chicken pox. She came out in the spots today and I saw her yesterday when she would have been most contagious and had direct contact with her.

I've never had chicken pox and so I'm guessing now I'm at a pretty high risk of catching in.

I've read chicken pox can cause several different birth defects so now i'm very worried and scared.

Has anyone ever had chicken pox before when pregnant and everything turn out okay? What sort of extra tests did your doctor run?

I just need some reassurance everything will be okay at the moment. :cry:

I had contact with my godchild who developed chicken pox when I was pregnant with my son. I was advised to ring my midwife straight away. She booked me in to see the gp who told me it was highly unlikely I would develop it as I'd got to an adult without ever catching it but gave me anti virals just incase. But I defo felt better after being checked out. I'm sure it will be fine Hun but I would still talk to a doctor just in case. Try not to worry.

Hey. Defo contact your gp and let them know that you've never had it. My SIL was exposed when expecting my niece and she got some anti viral injection. They treat it quite seriously. My dh has just had shingles and they checked my chicken pox immunity immediately so always better just running it past them to be sure.

Thanks for the reassurance ladies. I left a message on my midwifes mobile and I'll call my GP first thing in the morning.

Sparkly - are you in UK? As I know you can get the chickenpox injection privately but unsure if nhs will automatically give it to you if your vulnerable. I think it's quite expensive if you have to pay.

Sparkly - also did they just ask about your medical history to check your immunity or did they do blood tests?

Usually anything medical is advised to be brought up at first visit, such as health issues or not getting chicken pox ect. I would give them a call and let them know just in case. Sometimes they dont ask right away about medical history, but its always a good thing to bring up.

Yes uk. My SIL got the injection via nhs as she's never had chicken pox.

Luckily id had my booking in appointment with midwife the week previous so they called the lab and just ran the test on the bloods taken at my appointment. Results were back really quick but I had had chicken pox before so fully expected to be immune.

Thanks sparkly!

My doctor is ringing me at 10am so I'll let you know what she advises.

I'm just worried if they take blood to test for immunity that they will miss valuable time to give me the vaccine, as I've read the vaccine is not as effective if you have it after already being exposed to chickenpox. And I'm guessing the effectiveness decreases the longer you have the vaccine after being exposed. As it would take a few days for blood to be taken and results to come back.

Did your SIL have to have her immunity checked first or did they just give her the vaccine straight away?

So my doctor refered me to have a blood test done at the hospital to see if I'm immune or not. If I'm not immune she will give me the VZIG vaccine to try and prevent me getting chickenpox. I'll get the bloodtest results back in 2 days. So it's just a waiting game at the minute.

Just a quick update - my doctor rang and as I thought, confirmed I am not immune to chickenpox.

I'm having the vaccination today however she said it's only 50% effective. Fingers crossed I'm in the lucky 50%...the next 2 and half weeks wait is going to be a killer!

Sparkly - did your SIL still get chickenpox after having the vaccine?

Hey just thought I'd pop in :)

I too don't have the anti-bodies to the chicken pox. I actually got the vaccine and booster between my 2 boys, and the vaccine didn't take.

I didn't think they could give the vaccine while pregnant, since it's a live vaccine. Maybe they're giving you that shot/transfusion? I can't remember the name of it.

With me, when we discovered I still didn't have the antibodies and I was pregnant with my 2nd and my 1st had been exposed at daycare... my doc had told me if he developed the spots, that I needed a shot of sorts within 96 hours of exposure.

Anyways I'm sure all will be fine. I'd say you're like me, our bodies deal with the virus some other way!

Good luck!

Kim

Hey just thought I'd pop in :)

I too don't have the anti-bodies to the chicken pox. I actually got the vaccine and booster between my 2 boys, and the vaccine didn't take.

I didn't think they could give the vaccine while pregnant, since it's a live vaccine. Maybe they're giving you that shot/transfusion? I can't remember the name of it.

With me, when we discovered I still didn't have the antibodies and I was pregnant with my 2nd and my 1st had been exposed at daycare... my doc had told me if he developed the spots, that I needed a shot of sorts within 96 hours of exposure.

Anyways I'm sure all will be fine. I'd say you're like me, our bodies deal with the virus some other way!

Good luck!

Kim

Thanks so much for your reply. You have made me feel so much less stressed about my situation.

Yes it was the VZIG shot/transfusion they gave me. It was an injection in the thigh...ouch is all I can say!

My doctor did say that even though I'm not immune it's highly likely I've come into contact with chicken pox in my 29 years and that my body must fight it off in another way. She said when she became a GP she had to be tested and her bloods came back that she wasn't immune either, even though she had chickenpox as a child, and in the 15 years of being a GP has not contracted chickenpox again, even though she would have been exposed to it.

After my baby is born my doctor said she is going to immunise me against chickenpox to hopefully stop this happening again!

You sound just like me, I was 31 when I had my first son...I had been exposed a lot as a kid and my brother, sister and I all never had the chicken pox... so the doctors joke we have some sort of odd immunity that just doesn't show up in the blood. I often wonder if my kids will be the same.

I had the vaccine and booster and still no anti bodies... so if I were you I would ask them to check you after you have had the vaccine.. so at least you know for when you are pregnant again :)

I was lucky enough not to need the shot as my son sever caught the chicken pox, so only he was exposed, not me... I had heard it hurts :)

Good luck!

I have just seen my gp and asked if I could be tested for immunity as I haven't had chicken pox. I am concerned that having a 2 year old will inevitably mean I am exposed during this pregnancy. The doc said they usually wait until someone has exposure and then they would be tested for immunity and vaccinated. He said that 90% of the time those that believe they haven't had chicken pox are actually immune. I've been exposed lots as a kid but no spots! Funny how some people don't seem to get it. My mother in law has had 3 kids all with chicken pox and never had it either.

Thanks everyone :thumbup:
I'll let you all know the outcome. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"