Expressed milk question please help

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by JJay, Jun 1, 2011.

1. JJay

JJay Pregnant with number 3

Hi please can someone help, we are taking Rosie out for lunch tomorrow and I'd like to take a bottle of expressed milk in her change bag. How long will this last out of the fridge?

Thanks J x

2. lori

lori Mom to Simon & Oliver

Up to four hours (at least, those are the guidelines here...)

3. kmac625

kmac625 Mom to baby Clara

The insert that came with the hospital grade medela pump I rented right after birth said up to 8 hours at room temperature, but I never left it longer than 6 (and usually less than that). If it's really hot though I would say for a shorter period of time. If it's in a cooler bag with an ice pack thing it should be fine for the day.

On a side note though, has your lo taken a bottle before? Not all babies will take one easily. Also, with your lo being so young there's the chance of nipple confusion, though I don't think this is that common. We had to give some bottles of formula top up the first few weeks before my supply was up and never had any nipple confusion (though she did develop a lazy latch we had to correct).

4. ashleyroseeee

ashleyroseeee Member

Yip I've been told 6-8 hrs, but of course if it's hot I wouldn't leave it anywhere near that long.

5. cowboys angel

cowboys angel new mama & wife and ttc#2

Wow I was told 3 hours. Glad to know it can be out longer.

6. nullaby

nullaby Well-Known Member

I was told 4, i always smelled it first just incase anyway lol...i would try a bottle at home first just to make sure baby will take it, i have tried 4 different bottles and he dislike them all

7. JJay

JJay Pregnant with number 3

Thanks everyone:flower:

She has taken bottles of expressed milk before as DH has done a few of the night feeds. She tends to gulp them down in super quick time but other than that no problems.