Expressing for odd feed

c1403

Reaction score
Hello All

DD is 5 weeks old and BF like a champ (we do get our off days).

I want to start pumping for the odd feed here and there (I work 2 days a week for 5 hours and currently take her with me, which is fine but not my long term plan).

I'd like to feed her expressed milk say 3-4 times a week or maybe once a day from 3 months old so am looking to build up my stash now.

My question is....when is best to pump? In between feeds when she is settled/asleep or after a feed? Its difficult as she has no sleep pattern and can nap for 20mins or 2 hours and I never know when she will do it.

Also.... do i need to wash the pump parts after every use or just once a day (I am guessing after every use so twice a day). Do they need steralising after every use too? I am using a medela swing and cold water steraliser.

Thanks

Alot of women say to pump one side while feeding on the other but i was never able to
to do that, and would pump both sides while she was sleeping. I liked to do it in the morning, whenever possible, because that's when i got the most milk.

I used to wash the pump after each use, but i pump 3x a day, so that's a pain. Now i rinse the parts and put them in the fridge. Keeps any milk residue from drying. Then i wash and sterilize once per day in the evening.

I pump after his morning feed as I am fullest then and he only takes one side, then I pump here and there throughout the day. I keep the whole thing - bottle, nipple shield, etc - connected and put it in a lunchbag with two ice packs and leave it on the table I pump at. At the end of the day I put it in the fridge or freezer and pop the parts in the dishwasher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->