Expressing help

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by eagermom, Nov 17, 2011.

1. eagermom

eagermom Aarshi's Mum

Hi ladies... Im a sit at home mum...

Have to go out tonight leaving DD with mil... I exclusively bf not expressing much.. Nd m low on supply...

Just wanted to know can i pump out accross the day and mix it in a bottle... Dd will need one feedin till i return... Can i refrigerate that??

2. austinsmom

austinsmom Well-Known Member

Yes, go ahead and mix them together. I mix my milk even if it's days apart, lol.

3. lisaf

lisaf Super tired new mom

has your LO had a bottle before? Just a heads up that they may not take it right away :)

But yes, you can mix feeds from a 24-hour period together safely (best way is to wait until both portions are cooled before combining, otherwise it may warm up the 'older' milk and reduce its shelf-life). I've mixed together feeds from more than a 24 hour period, and I've even added warm milk to cold, but I only ever do that once, not repeatedly.

It keeps for 5 days in the fridge :)

4. eagermom

eagermom Aarshi's Mum

yes.. she has had bottle before.. coz i had a breastinfection on my left side and doc asked me to feed her on that side.. but the cut was so darn bad and i had to start expressing and feed her through a bottle.. but that reallly made iit difficult for us to get proper latch again.. but now things are good so i dont want to risk it.. but have my 6 weeks OB-GYN appt and DD is down with cold so dont want to take her along in this rainy cold weather...

:dohh::dohh::dohh:

will feed her well before leaving.. and try to be back in 2 hours so would take care of the schedule.. but if in case it takes longer dont want mil to feed her with formula,... so to be on a safer side will express around 3-4 oz before leaving..