Expressing milk - bottle and breast feeding?

Helen

ICSI Twins + miracle BFP
Reaction score
Hi

DH is really keen to feed our little ones in order to help me out and for a bit of special Daddy time. I'm pretty sure I could express enough milk to do that, but I wondered if we should wait till they're older to introduce a bottle as well as the breast.

Any advice?

H

xx

Its normally recommended that you wait until bf established and your milk supply has settled down. I'm sure i was told to wait until 6 weeeks. I found that Kayleigh hates a bottle, but seems to prefer the tommee tipee closesr to nature bottles.

well hun

I would try and get them onto bottle as soon as,as they will/may have probs accepting the bottle. I expressed at 4 weeks and got 7oz's off straightaway no problems and was told I could express then so may be okay for you to do so.

Hope all goes well
bex

The recommendation is 6 weeks as this gives baby the chance to get the hang of breastfeeding, plus your milk supply will regulate.

Be careful not to express too early as your body will think it has to start producing "another" feed. The recommendations are 6wks as it's generally accepted that that's how long it takes to get breastfeeding established.

There's also the risk that after giving them a bottle they might get frustrated with the breast.

Do whatever you feel is right hun

I expressed and gave a bottle at about 2 weeks as I had mastitis and felt too ill to even hold Ella.

I started expressing earlier than 6 weeks too. Although I didn't alter my milk supply as I was expressing on one side whulst feeding on the other! I guess as you are feeding the two at the same time that wouldn't be possible!

Aeryn will happily take a bottle or a boobie already, I have expressed for Peter and my mum to have a go at feeding, but I am cautious about expressing as don't want to produce too much milk and end up with boobs like giant rocks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->