Expressing - sore nipples

flowers1

Newly expecting
Reaction score
I have started exclusively expressing since Sunday and am managing to keep milk production ahead of my LO's needs by expressing every 4 hours as he feeds. Until yesterday I was using a manual pump which was OK but took forever and gave me hand ache. I am now using a hospital grade electric pump which is quicker but have started to get sore nipples afterwards. Will this wear off after a few days of getting used to it or I am doing something wrong? Any advice or tips on expressing which may help would be really helpful.

What setting are you using on the pump? You should start on the lowest, then slowly turn it up until it is slightly uncomfortable. Then turn it down a little bit, so it isn't at all uncomfortable.

Also, what does your nipple look like in the horn? Did the pump come with a guide to getting the right size horn?

When switching from my 'normal' pump to the hospital grade, I had to be very careful not to have the settings too high. I found that I would have a different tolerance in the morning and at night, and each boob had a different tolerance!

I also found it was a case of finding the right setting to begin with. I remember the highest setting on my swing feeling so strong to start with and now I'm half convinced my pump is running out of steam because it hardly feels like it's doing anything - nipples of steel now! :lol:

i experience the same thing. what really helped for me was getting a larger breast flange (the tunnel thing) when you are pumping your nipple should not be touching the sides of the tube. not only does it block some of the milk ducts but hurts like hell too. also try turning it down a little if you can. i had mine on high as i was desperate to get the milk out of there but found i made more milk with it set not so strong. good luck.

I also found it was a case of finding the right setting to begin with. I remember the highest setting on my swing feeling so strong to start with and now I'm half convinced my pump is running out of steam because it hardly feels like it's doing anything - nipples of steel now! :lol:

haha im exactly the same!!!

you can also try lansinoh cream...its not really cream but not sure what else to describe it as lol.. it helps toughen up your nipples.. every time i pumped at the start i slathered loads on when i was done. you dont need to wash it off before pumping the next time, just wipe away any excess.

is the pain on the skin of your nipple or inside?

I am sure that the flange is big enough but I am not sure the electric pump is working properly. I get much more milk, more easily from my manual pump. I used the same electric pump in hospital when LO was first born for 3weekds and filled a feeding bottle in no time every 3 hours. This electric pump doesn't seem to have the same suction though so I will ring and query with the manufacturer on Tues. Since i have gone back to the manual pump the pain has eased a lot.

My problem now is I am worried I can't keep up with LO's milk requirements. I am pumping at every feed and get most first thing in the morning but sometimes can only get 100ml and I really need 120 at least to ensure I stay ahead on him - what can I do to increase my supply? I don't want to take fenugreek as it could make IBS worse but could ask the dr to give me domperidone if that could help.

Just after LO feeds - roughly 5.30am, 9am, 1pm, 5pm, 9pm, 12am.

You could try pumping 8-12 times a day for a few days:
https://www.hollister.com/us/files/pdfs/breastfeeding/establish_milk_supply.pdf

That link was really useful, thanks. I am upping the number of times a day I pump and seem to be producing more milk already. I am also noticing that my boobs feel fuller which is good. I am starting to wonder though if the flange on the Avent manual pump I am using is big enough as I am feeling a bit tender after each pumping session round the base of the nipple. I don't know if there are any manual pumps with extra large flanges - I may have to start a post on that and see if anyone knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->