Eye colour predictor

tasha41

Mum & Dad + 1
Reaction score
I tried this, I'm not too sure about my boyfriend's colours so I'm not sure it worked, but here, if you guys can figure yours out:

https://www.athro.com/evo/gen/genefr2.html

** it predicted my eye colour & my siblings' based on my parent's accurately !

I recall doing this on paper in biology class. BB, bb, and Bb. Then made a little square with four spots and it gave you a percentage. I am Bb (my Dad had blue eyes) I have brown like Mom yet carry his gene for blue. Hubby has both parents with brown eyes, yet siblings with green eyes like the grandfather from Spain. I have no idea it said 0 blue eyed kids LOL and we do not have any!

I don't understand the gene bit and what to chose... I've got it up to 52 children and it says they'll all have brown eyes. I'm sure he's got blue eyes in there, don't know why :rofl:

x

Well i worked it out from my mums and dads eyes and all their kids should have brown eyes, which isent true as 2 have brown and 2 have blue, unless ive worked it out wrong.
My bubs will have blue eyes though, my 2 boys do and this one will follow the trend.

Well i worked it out from my mums and dads eyes and all their kids should have brown eyes, which isent true as 2 have brown and 2 have blue, unless ive worked it out wrong.
My bubs will have blue eyes though, my 2 boys do and this one will follow the trend.

Did one of your grandparents have blue eyes? Because, then one of your parents would carry a gene for blue. :)

I read that if one parent has the dominant brown eye gene then that overrules the other?
It has with both my boys,I have blue eyes,hubby has dark brown.

LOL and I just did the test and hubbys genes rule mine everytime :(
I would have liked a blue eyed baby LOL

Youngest DS was born with blue eyes which stayed a whole 3 weeks and I got excited LOL
They have now deepened into a chocolate brown.
Eldest DS has very very dark brown eyes like hubby.

Did one of your grandparents have blue eyes? Because, then one of your parents would carry a gene for blue. :)

Yes my on my dads side, but he has brown eyes and my mum has blue eyes, but it still says that all their kids will have brown.
I dont know, it just confuzles me, lol.

I tried it while I was pregnant and I was convinced Lola will have brown eyes.....Guess again! :rofl:

We had a thread on this a while ago but somehow I can't be bothered to search for my post! lol

Basically we all have two genes for eye colour. An egg or sperm has half the genetic code so only has one gene. Brown is dominant over blue. If you have blue eyes, you will have two blue genes and all your eggs or sperm will carry a blue gene. If you have brown eyes you might carry a blue (if someone in your ancestry has had blue eyes) or you might have two brown genes. You can work out what your genes are in this case by what your offspring have and what your older relatives have had. so you can work out how the genes combine and get a ratio of liklihood of colour for your kids. If the ratio is 3:1 brown:blue, for example, it doesn't mean you'll have 3 kids with brown and 1 with blue, it means that every kid is three times more likely to have brown.

I remember doing this chart and the green seems to come in where blue and brown work together rather than brown being dominant. In colours (like hair) sometimes genes are equally strong and co-express which gives a middle colour or mixture. An obvious example is a black and a white parent and the child having a skin colour somewhere in between.

So, in real life, my Dad has blue eyes and my Mum brown. My sister has blue eyes so this shows my Mum has both brown and blue genes. I have brown eyes so have got the brown from my Mum and blue from my Dad. My DH has blue eyes so we could have kids with brown or blue.

I gave it a go! But the problem is they don't have my eye colour as it is hazel and my fiancee is blue!! So I guess our kids will have like green and blue eyes but I know it won't be brown for sure! xxx

I don't have any brown genes, my grandparents are 3 blue and one green, my parents are blue and green, and I am green.. does that mean that my baby can't have brown eyes even though my boyfriend has brown? His dad has blue eyes and his mom has brown, can't speak for his grandfathers, but his grandmothers have brown.

Also I don't get this because I tested it using my parents'...me mum is brown and my dad is blue!! It said the kids will be all brown but my eyes are hazel and my sister is blue!!! It's confusing me, seriously!! xx

I don't have any brown genes, my grandparents are 3 blue and one green, my parents are blue and green, and I am green.. does that mean that my baby can't have brown eyes even though my boyfriend has brown? His dad has blue eyes and his mom has brown, can't speak for his grandfathers, but his grandmothers have brown.

If your boyfriend has brown eyes and his Dad's were blue he must have one brown gene and one blue. So there is a 50:50 chance of the baby having brown eyes as brown is the most dominant. How the other genes combine might result in different greeny shades or just blue.

Also I don't get this because I tested it using my parents'...me mum is brown and my dad is blue!! It said the kids will be all brown but my eyes are hazel and my sister is blue!!! It's confusing me, seriously!! xx

Your Mum must have a blue gene so your sister got blue genes from both parents giving her blue eyes.

I'm not sure about the hazel. I dunno that it doesn't just count as brown.

Both me and the OH have green eyes so it came out green for the baby. Bit of brown in our eyes to. I was born blue eyed though! how weird if you see the mental green they are now.

Both me and the OH have green eyes so it came out green for the baby. Bit of brown in our eyes to. I was born blue eyed though! how weird if you see the mental green they are now.

Babies are usually born with blue eyes I'm told.

I found a much better one: https://museum.thetech.org/ugenetics/eyeCalc/eyecalculator.html

Way easier to understand and more visually appealing, lol.

Tasha,
I think with all those blue and green genes baby may have bright green or blue eyes by my guess.

My niece has the most amazing blue eyes I have ever seen and blond hair! She has a Mom with black hair and green eyes and Dad with brown and brown. But, Dad has a sister with blue eyes so he is Bb. I have no idea on the blond hair. But, the new baby seems to look lots like her older sis! She too has blue eyes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->