Eye referral

PresqueVu

Reaction score
This may not be the right place for it, but since you are a lovely bunch.... does anyone know what happens when you get a referral to ophthalmology via the eye check from School? :flower:

I have a phobia about hospitals so I find them very difficult to be in. I tend to forget to breath. I'll be able to be a hell of a lot more useful if I can have some idea of what to expect. Why does it go there and not to an opticians? What kind of thing are they looking out for?

I'm not entirely sure but my boys both go to hospital for eye checks so I can tell you what they do there.

They tend to see three different people, one will show them pictures, gets them to follow toys etc and gauge their sight from that and then the other 2 shine lights into their eyes through lenses to give them an idea of sight and also to check the backs of their eyes and they need to have drops in 30 minutes before this which can sting a little but don't bother mine too much the actual shining lights in through lenses is a bit traumatic though tbh as they wont keep their eyes open and don't understand whats going on but as your DS is 5 he should be more cooperative.

Thank you for responding hun, that helps a lot :flower:

I suspect he'll find it interesting. If so, we'll have no trouble! :haha:

I was/am referred to hospital every time I see a new optician so have been through all the eye checks they do :D

They put drops in to dilate the pupil so they can get a better look at the back of the eye. They sting for a few seconds and make your eyes water so have some tissues and a distraction to hand.

Once the drops kick in their eyes will be a little more light sensitive as the pupil can't shrink back down under bright lights.

After that it's pretty much just a normal opticians visit but you may be moved to different rooms for different a tests.

They'll take a look using the little torch gizmo, do some basic what can you see type tests and they might want to test visual field (peripheral vision' by asking then to click a button or make a noise every time they see a light.

Nothing invasive or scary should happen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->