Eyesight nearly gone in one of my eyes....

Linzi

Prodest mummy ever
Reaction score
The past 3-4 weeks Ive noticed my left eye getting worse... it was always weaker but I couldn't tell much difference between the two.

The past 3-4 weeks it's got dramatically worse - everything is blurry, I can't even read the writing on this computer through that eye, and last night I noticed that theres like a line that I can't see past if that makes sense? Like if Im looking straight ahead I can see to my left and straight ahead but not much to my right...

The problem is is that Im terrified of the optician and I know that sounds funny but its really not. The last time I went I was sick when I went in to see him because after I told him I was nervous I asked him what a machine in the room did and he said something along the lines of "oh dont worry, we just use that to peel peoples eyes". BLEURGHHHH

I cant bring myself to go :( Does anyone know what this might be? Going to the optician is really a last resort. I know thats stupid but Im terrified :(

xxx

Hey hun plz go and see someone,i have no idea on what it could be, if not the doctor at least go and see your GP x

hon it doesn't sound silly at all, but i def. think you should go to the doc's at least. poor you :hugs: please go and see someone, just to get it checked :hugs: x

Hunni, you must see someone straight away. If you're scared, go to your gp and he can refer you to someone at the hospital. This may feel a bit more relaxing than a high street store.

Thanks - never thought about going to the GP. Ill make an appointment.

xxx

I would personally go to D&A. My boyfriend works there and they are the nicest people ever. They really care about their customers and I get so proud of my OH when I go in to take his dinner or whatever and he is looking after someone who is nervous and it makes me smile :D
If you ring up and make an appointment with them, explain to the person on the phone that you have a phobia of opticians and find it very difficult and they will look after you. I would probably suggest a friend or OH or whoever goes in with you, and they are allowed there. The optician will be good, there's no touching your eye or anything, he will look after you. Please don't be scared, I know how horrible it is having a phobia-mine is dentists.
I'm not trying to scare you but my OH has had eye problems all his life and when he was 4 his teacher told his mother to take him to an optician because he couldn't read the board and his mum just thought he was stupid (another reason to hate the evil witch!!) because he would walk into things etc. He had a cataract in both eyes and had to get the lenses in the back of his eyes taken out. He wears contacts now and I didn't know anything about his eye problems until we had been together a few months. It can cause permanent blindness if you don't get it seen to. I'm not saying that is what it is but please go. You may just have an infection or something.
Take someone with you. Its one of those things where you put off going for months/years and when you eventually go you wonder what all the fuss is about!!

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!!!

:hugs:
xxx

Matts made me an appointment on Saturday with the optician, soonest we could get.

I feel physically sick, my hands are sweating and shaking, I just really dont want to go.

My friend has a phobia of dentist and said theres some calming herbal things you can take,... anyone know what they are?

xxx

Kalms?? Just re read what i read lol i meant optician when i wrote doctor!!

Glad you have appointment x x

https://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/st...89&callingViewName=&langId=-1&catalogId=11051

x

lots and lots of luck linzi :hugs: i have taken kalms for my driving test :hugs: you can also get rescue remedy that you pop on your tongue. do hope you get on ok :hugs: x

:hug: Good luck with your appointment, it is really best that you go

:hug: hun. I would look @ u myself but I'm too far away.

Please don't leave this until Saturday, try & see if someone can go with you tomorrow. You need to explain exactly what have to us to the person on the phone. If they can't see you go & see GP or A&E. If you've lost a patch @ the edge of your vision it needs checking ASAP. It could be a number of things. The sooneer u get it looked at the sooner you can get it sorted.

Have you had any flashing lights or seen any black spots/ floaters in your vision.

I have a terrible phobia of dentists so I fully sympathsise with. The last optician you saw was well out of order. I promise we aren't all like that.

What they will do most likely is:
1. Check what you can see.
2. Look to see if they can get it any better.
3. Use a bright light to look at the back of the eye. They may want to put drops in to get a good look. These will make your sight a bit blurry so make sure someone goes with you who can drive u home.
4. Use a machine to check your field of vision, ie what you can see round the edges. Normally you look at a spot in the middle of the screen & push a button when a light flashes.
5. if there is a problem then the optician will either refer you to the hospital via your GP or if they think you need urgent treatment they will phone hospital & make you appointment over the phone.

I can't think of any opticians in leeds that I know. Its a fair while since I last worked up in that area.

good luck hun & I can assure not all opticians are like that idiot you saw last time.

Thanks hun do you have any idea what it might be? Oh is panicking and its worrying me.

Apparently he rang the optician and the soonest we could get was Saturday, Im going to try and get a GP appointment tomorrow so hopefully Ill get in there.

xxx

No I had a GPs appointment booked but Seth has been poorly so changed it from me to him.

Opticians tomorrow :( Still getting worse though.

I had the most horrible nightmare last night about Seth's eyes and it's made me about 50 times more nervous about going if thats even possible :(

xxx

No I had a GPs appointment booked but Seth has been poorly so changed it from me to him.

Opticians tomorrow :( Still getting worse though.

I had the most horrible nightmare last night about Seth's eyes and it's made me about 50 times more nervous about going if thats even possible :(

xxx

Big :hug: hun. Hope you get through tonight ok. I know what it's like to feel as anxious as that about somthing x x

Thanks for the support really appreciate it, I usually get laughed at when I say this stuff to anyone lol

xxx

Just an update

I went yestersay, got all my courage up and everything and had the most patronising optician Ive ever met (in a different surgery because Ive moved since my last test).

He basically told me that my eye will have always been this bad, theres nothing wrong and Im just being a hypocondirac. He barely even look at them and when I told him i didnt like things that crowded my face he kept getting right up in my face and going "did I make you jump? haha". Cheeky t**t.

So a strongly worded letter has been sent and theres no way in hell Im going to get my eyes looked at ever again.

Hopefully it'll improve who knows

xxx

What an awful man! But that doesn't mean you shouldn't go get it checked ever again ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->