Failed diabetic screening?

Khearts

Reaction score
Hi ladies! Silly question, I had my Intake today with my new doctor, I'm 6w 3d. My first ultrasound is Thursday!

I honestly didn't know what to expect going into the appointment, no one told me to fast beforehand, so I just came after work. Could eating a sweet before my appointment have raised my blood sugar? I only failed by one point, and I'm trying to avoid a 3 hour waiting room visit for bloods every hour! I don't have any history of issues with diabetes, but I was on metformin for 3 years and suddenly was ordered to stop after I got pregnant. I also wonder if this had a part in it.

Thank you for any input! Have any of you ladies had an issue like this? This is my first pregnancy and I obviously am overwhelmed with concerns!

Yes, eating a sweet right before will raise your blood sugar. If they were testing fasting blood sugar, you would have needed to fast before. There is also the 1 hour GTT (which takes an hour and you don't have to fast before but I also wouldn't eat sugar before either). It is likely because of the metformin use that they are testing you. Usually if they are testing this early they are looking for ongoing blood sugar issues rather than gestational diabetes, perhaps maybe because of the PCOS. But yes it's possible it could affect the test and I would ask to have it re-tested at your next appointment.

You should check and confirm all these with your doc/midwife whoever took the test. Ive been sucking on candy to deal with the nausea and even was during the appointment.. Im not sure which kind of sugar test they did but the midwife knew about it when they tested so at least she knew whats going on and if thats likely to affect levels.

they DONT test for GD at 6wks and your results ARE effected by sweets/grains/other foods that raise your sugar.

Ignore their test and ask to simply test your blood sugar at home for a week. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->