Fainting?!

cflower04

Reaction score
Anyone else fainting regularly?! Started on Christmas Eve and I've fainted everyday since. Doctor gave me a prescription for iron tablets and I'm taking two daily but there's been no improvement yet. Know it's been less than a week but today was worse than any other. Slapped my head on the counter in work when I fainted and I was convulsing (for about 60 seconds) when I came around. Took another 60 seconds or so for my hearing to return too.

Seeing the nurse on Monday to get my blood taken but I think I should see the doctor too. Anyone have any advice? Afraid I'll hurt baby when I collapse.

That just almost happened to me 20 minutes ago. Never fainted before in my life but yea my eyes had spots and I felt helpless and fell onto the bed.

I'm not sure that I can say that I feel that this degree of fainting is normal. If it's a daily occurrence, and the iron tablets aren't helping, perhaps it's something wonky with your blood pressure? I do know that some light headedness/dizzy/faint-feelings are normal, but I have to admit, that what you've described is kind of alarming.

I would keep in close contact with your doctor, and have him/her continue to monitor you, and investigate this.

Before getting pregnant my blood pressure was a little low... Although at my last two appointments it had risen somewhat! Really don't know what is going on... hope Doctor can shed some light on Monday because I'm afraid of being on my own now. Maybe it's my blood sugar... Although I'm eating and drinking plenty. :-(

That sounds so scary! :nope:
In my last pregnancy i was extremely dizzy on a daily basis and came close to fainting all the time, i only ever fainted once (in the middle of a packed McDonalds)
I was anaemic and on iron tablets but not sure if it the anaemia was related to the dizziness as it didnt go away until i gave birth :shrug:

You should go back to your doctor and explain that you're still fainting. I hope you get some answers soon :hugs:

Iron doesn't absorb well when you eat tablet form. Get liquid and have it with orange juice. Don't drink milk, don't have yoghurt or any calcium when you take it as it binds to calcium and you'll end up getting constipated and pooping it out!

Start salting your food if you don't already, I have low blood pressure too, drink lots of water and make sure you exercise a little everyday <--those are the very best things to quickly reverse low bp.

Iron binds oxygen to your blood. Low iron = low oxygen for baby and potential cognitive and developmental problems (ADHD & learning disabilities).
People too, often convulse if they are shallow breathing (think hot tubs, smoking etc). I used to be a life guard at the local pool - the boys would smoke grass and then jump into the hot tub. The heart rate goes up, they breath rapid & shallow and voila! fainting and convulsions (I know you aren't doing this lol you poor thing!! Bear with me here). Iron in liquid form and better circulation ie. walking, yoga, breathing deeply will help this condition. Salt your food and lots of water! Tea absorbs better than water and replaces electrolightic fluids. Just stick to mint, ginger, decaf roobios chai.

But iron pills?? Well if you're all bunged up over the toilet and still fainting, I feel for ya! Doctors are keen to hand out pills but did he tell you how hard it is to get iron to absorb?

I take mine in my morning shake: half a pack frozen spinach, 1 cup berries, 1 banana, 3vitamin c pills or a pack of 'EmergenC' powder, liquid iron, omega 3/6/9 oil, blend & drink. It's delicious and as long as you keep the yoghurt out, you won't get constipated either. $100 says you'll feel better in a week. But do get checked out, I hope everything is ok and it's not something more serious. Low bp combined with anemia is a terrible place to be when you're pregnant and you'll have to work at getting your health back if this is the cause of it all. Sending you :hugs:

Thanks! Just realized that the orange juice I've been taking with my iron tablets has added calcium! Will get some ordinary juice tomorrow. I don't generally eat dairy as I'm allergic so I thought I was doing good with the orange juice! Mind you since becoming pregnant, I can eat a little dairy without upsetting my stomach. So far the iron hasn't made me constipated... fingers crossed it stays that way! Will let ye know what the doctor says in the morning :)

if its not just fainting and its has convulsing you NEED TO BE SEEN ,..and have more then blood work done....call ur doctor and let them know you have been convulsing as well and the iron pills have not stopped ur fainting..something is not right

Yeah if your fitting too that's isn't right Hun I would of gone straight too a&e !!!

I have fainting episodes and did with dd thank god I never actually faint but I feel my self going too I sit down with my head low till it passes xxx

Back from the doctor... He doesn't seem overly concerned! He said convulsions when fainting are really common... It's not a seizure and they only last a few seconds. He took my blood and I'll hopefully have the results tomorrow. If my iron levels come back ok I've to go back to him for a couple of other tests. My blood pressure was a little low this morning so it's possibly just that!

Back from the doctor... He doesn't seem overly concerned! He said convulsions when fainting are really common... It's not a seizure and they only last a few seconds. He took my blood and I'll hopefully have the results tomorrow. If my iron levels come back ok I've to go back to him for a couple of other tests. My blood pressure was a little low this morning so it's possibly just that!

Im only saying this because I was an OB nurse, I dont know why he said its common or normal because its not. Something else is happening and causing this and u need more then just blood work. I dont want to scare you but its good to get all your T crossed to make sure your nice and healthy hun

xx

Who is the doc taking care of you, ur gp? Ob? MW? Sometimes doctors get lazy for whatever reason....but I would want to make sure that these are really nothing...(hug)

Is there a way to get a second opinion? Just to make sure

:hugs:

Im only saying this because I was an OB nurse, I dont know why he said its common or normal because its not. Something else is happening and causing this and u need more then just blood work. I dont want to scare you but its good to get all your T crossed to make sure your nice and healthy hun

xx

Who is the doc taking care of you, ur gp? Ob? MW? Sometimes doctors get lazy for whatever reason....but I would want to make sure that these are really nothing...(hug)

Is there a way to get a second opinion? Just to make sure

:hugs:

Yep he's a GP but he specializes in prenatal care! All pregnant women in the practice go to him. Will see what my results are tomorrow and I'll speak to him again. Today was the first day I didn't faint... So hopefully that is a good sign as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->