Fall/climbing out of toddler bed

mara16jade

Mommy of 2 little boys
Reaction score
So we have our son in a toddler bed, with a toddler guard rail. It is 36" wide so there is about a foot of space at the end for him to get in and out on his own. Two nights ago I woke up at 2am and looked at the video monitor to see he wasn't in bed! But before I went into full panic, I saw his little head next to his bed...sleeping on the floor on a rug in front of his bed. He's been in this exact setup for 2 months and never fell/climbed out in the middle of the night. I was able to just lift him back into bed without him waking up though.

This is our setup with the toddler guard rail:
https://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t649/mara16jade1/20160610_154723_zpsgcckkga0.jpg~original

But I'd like to put the one that came with the crib (its nicer and way more sturdy). But it has the opening right in the middle. Exactly like this:
https://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t649/mara16jade1/guard%20rail_zps6a6sqhf9.jpg~original

I'm sure some of you have the 2nd type of guard rail - how do you teach or prevent them from falling out? He constantly leans on the guard rail at night and the other version (the one we're using now) is ok and safe...but just not as sturdy.

Pillow? Rolled up blanket? Did your child not actually fall out?

Thanks all!!

I would just use whatever you liked the look of, none if my kids have ever fallen out of bed and I've never used a guard rail of any sorts. Sophie always slept in a bed and Thomas went into a bed at 19 months.

I would use which one u prefer to my eldest never had a bed guard on his toddler bed he did fall out a few times but not many and was fine they just learn to stay in it
Chad has a tiny little guard on his but it's only small and attached to the actual bed X

Honestly, we've never bothered to prevent her falling out. When we first switched to the toddler bed at 18 months, for maybe the first week, I did put a duvet folded over on the floor next to her bed. My concern was that she would wake up in the middle of the night and then try to stand up at the rails of the cot and while reaching for them, would fall flat on her face rather than roll out (because she would have expected to grab onto the rails in the dark and they wouldn't be there). She didn't fall out once trying to do that, so I took the duvet away after that first week. And since then she's just slept in the bed as is with no rail. I think in 2 years she's fallen out maybe 3 times, but she barely even woke and I just went in and helped her back into bed. Personally, I would do without the rail and see if falling out is actually a problem. If it is, and he's falling out like more nights than not, then I'd try a rail but I wouldn't assume he'll need one unless it's an issue. I like being able to climb into bed with her or sit on the bed without having to move an awkward rail out of the way.

My ds has only fallen out twice and he's been in his bed over a year. As toddler beds tend to be quite low if you have carpets I wouldn't worry. He will learn to stay in bed!

Mine are both movers and I have rails on their beds, on our bed, rails everywhere, lol. They end up upside down or sleeping horizontal every night.
Can you combine the 2 rails?
I have a friend with a similar rail to the wooden one and she puts a toy box lid there at night which does the job for her.
My daughter is in a toddler bed and I have a similar rail to the top one and have tied it onto the slats under the bed so it wont topple the mattress if she leans on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->