falling asleep while feeding

Lizzybee

Mom to 1, StepMum to 1
Reaction score
I'm really worried. I know people cosleep but I can't help falling asleep when feeding, even in the daytime. Today I was feeding in the chair and I fell asleep. Hubby came home and said he had to move LO's head so I didn't smother him. I didn't even stir.
I am now so frightened that I might suffocate him.
How can I make sure I stay awake?

You sound exhausted!!!

I was super paranoid about that too so took precautions like setting up the area so if I did fall asleep that it wouldn't endanger DS. Eventually you will stop falling asleep. Babies sleep thru everything can u set a repeat alarm on your cell or something that will keep waking you?

How did you set up your area Maxy1? The alarm sounds good for day time but I don't want to wake up OH and DD at night. That said I don't want to risk hurting DS by smothering him either.

I feed lying down in bed on my side with a pillow next to baby so she can't fall off the bed and we co sleep.

How old is your lo? O found the first weeks so so hard but now I'm fine and don't fall asleep at every feed. :hugs:

I feed lying down in bed on my side with a pillow next to baby so she can't fall off the bed and we co sleep.

How old is your lo? O found the first weeks so so hard but now I'm fine and don't fall asleep at every feed. :hugs:

Safe co-sleeping is a good solution to avoid accidental 'unsafe' co-sleeping, but I'm not sure about the pillow behind LO to stop her falling off, if LO could roll to fall off she could roll towards the pillow and I thought pillows on the bed were a no-no for co-sleeping??

OP I'm sure there are lots of co-sleepers in the Natural Parenting forum who can give you the guidelines on setting up a safe co-sleeping arrangement.

In the day you could try watching a TV programme you find thrilling (not rubbishy stuff), drinking a really cold drink, or undressing a bit so you are not too warm and cosy?? It doesn't last forever though, the sleepy stage.

The pillow is only while she can't roll. Its under the sheet which is firmly tucked in under the mattress. I'm going to get a bed rail when she rolls properly. She currently can't get off her backand is a bit of an insect flailing her legs if she wants to change position :haha: but I just prefer the precaution in case she did suddenly decide to roll.

Loose pillows are a no no. So not one propped on the head of the bed or loose as it could end up suffocating. I keep one pillow under my head and my duvet separate to baby who has her own sleeping bag now she's big enough for it. Or I swaddle her depending on her mood.

Theres lots of different ways to safely co sleep, its about finding what works for you whilst following the safety advice.

https://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/1390135.htm

I saw that and figured a pillow under the sheet would be an equivalent as I have a small double bed so that thing wouldn't fit :thumbup: :)

Safe co-sleeping is a good solution to avoid accidental 'unsafe' co-sleeping.

OP I'm sure there are lots of co-sleepers in the Natural Parenting forum who can give you the guidelines on setting up a safe co-sleeping arrangement.

I don't really want to co-sleep to be honest. I'm too frightened. But thanks for the advice on avoiding day sleeping. I'll try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->