False widow spiders UK

Wish I could be brave enough to Hoover them up :(
They should just stay outside, cheeky buggers x

I'm terrified of spiders anyway so if i see one i'd probably die of fear.

My facebook news feed has been full of pictures of spiders and people asking if they are these false widows, my phobia is getting worse by the day, i have to hide the pictures!

I'm trying to copy and paste what someone has put up on fb to put into context about this spider thing but my phone won't let me :( I'll try and give everyone the jist...

Firstly the guy in question was attacked by a nest, multiple bites will b worse

No one in the uk has EVER died from a spider bite but on average 12 people die a year from bee/wasp stings.. Where is the panic from that?

They only ever bite in self defence.

They have been I this country since the 1870's there has been some migration recently due to climate change.

The venom isn't going to kill you, yes it will b uncomfortable and u may b sick, but around of anti bitotics will help. The pain is likened to getting a tattoo..

Don't ever believe what the daily mail put... This is the same paper that said plants cause cancer and helium is the new laughing gas drug.

If I can I will post the actual fb post as it was so well wrote.

I am and always have been WAY more worried about wasps then spiders!

I am terrified of spiders, I don't give a crap if it is poisonous or not I hate them all equally. I genuinely cried trying to Hoover up an already dead spider one time because they freak me out so much. My husband is going away for a week and half with work on the weekend and I am genuinely stressing about if I see a spider because I can't be in a room with them but I absolutely can not sort them out myself :(

I have this level of fear as well

When I read about people hoovering them up it freaks me out! I could never in a million years hold a Hoover tube while a spider went up inside it

The best I can do if they are on flat carpet (not stairs) is throw a plastic bowl over them, usually a salad bowl type. Hubby is quite used to coming home and finding bowls upside down quite randomly about the house

Me too :-( I would never ever be able to hoover a spider up. You'd have to really look at it to aim and then it would go really close you you when it was sucked up!

Also I'm terrified of spiders but I do think they have an important job so I'd feel really guilty! It's so irrational that I'm scared when we don't have any dangerous ones here, and after all they kill the flies that could be landing on food etc and spreading really nasty bugs, especially when you have small children. Why be scared of something that helps us out like that?!

As for this false widow, completely agree with whoever says they don't mind getting bitten as long as it isn't too big!

PS don't other spiders bite anyway? My brother got bitten by one of those brown spiders that live in webs in the garden at this time of year. It wasn't serious. I'm sure every little creature that bites carries a risk of allergy or sepsis but you could get anaphylaxis from a thousand things, or get sepsis from a splinter from a door frame, it isn't exactly a huge worry.

A girl in the next village to me found a mummy one and a nest in her shed and now I'm bricking it, I'm terrified of all spiders anyway. I'm just consoling myself with the fact that winter is coming and they won't survive long in - temperatures Scotland gets

I am terrified of spiders, I don't give a crap if it is poisonous or not I hate them all equally. I genuinely cried trying to Hoover up an already dead spider one time because they freak me out so much. My husband is going away for a week and half with work on the weekend and I am genuinely stressing about if I see a spider because I can't be in a room with them but I absolutely can not sort them out myself :(

I have this level of fear as well

When I read about people hoovering them up it freaks me out! I could never in a million years hold a Hoover tube while a spider went up inside it

The best I can do if they are on flat carpet (not stairs) is throw a plastic bowl over them, usually a salad bowl type. Hubby is quite used to coming home and finding bowls upside down quite randomly about the house

Don't mean to scare the pants off you here, but i learnt the hard way that on carpet spiders can escape things put over them! I used to do this, until one day the cup was empty... Shudder! Now iv taught myself the courage to throw a newspaper on it and put my massive boots on and stomp the bugger. Then leave it for oh to sort out! I wouldn't mind spiders so much if they wouldn't run around my space!

I usually don't mind spiders, but after this I had a massive nightmare about them last night :( x

makes no difference to me as any spider i see no matter what shape/size or colour gets suckered up the hoover/squished with my boot!!

urghhhh I hate the 8 legged freaky buggers!!

Aren't you afraid they'll lay eggs in your hoover and explode out and eat you :rofl:

Genuinely my fear!

The vacuum suffocates them before they can do that so says my dad anyway. I saw one in my flat which despite being vegan I hoovered I would have gathered it up and put it outside but I couldn't reach it to do that only to suck it up. I posted the pic on twitter and kept getting messages from my local paper who were clearly desperate for a story on this, so I blocked them *snigger* can't stand this scaremongering that is going on xx

omg i'm scared now. i've seen this talked about on other sites and facebook but i've been reading it as 'false window spiders', i thought it was some craze for Halloween....

They've been so many stories on this and I'm already petrified of spiders now this has just caused some major paranoia, are they huge in real life? I can't quite make it out in pictures, some pictures they look tiny?

I am now constantly on the look out in my house :(

Just read this too https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...hnids-infestation-petrified-toddler-risk.html

Why oh whyyyy??!!

And I'm another one who can not or ever will be able to deal with spiders alone! I just scream and cry. I don't even have the courage to step on it or put a bowl over it lol

https://m.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/story.html?aid=19953374

I'm terrified of spiders regardless of whether they're poisonous or completely harmless, I'm no more scared of the false widow than I am of a normal house spider, they all give me panic attacks lol.

I've seen a few stories close to home about it though, it was on the BBC that an elderly couple had one in their house in Nottingham and it bit both of them and they just had a red raised itchy bump, they caught it and its been sent to Nottingham Uni labs for testing and the scientist had said theyre not much more of a risk than a normal spider, they bite when threatened, and they're mainly a risk to small children, babies and the elderly, and a few people allergic to their poison. Which was why yesterday when someone I know in Sheffield announced she had a nest I was shocked when people were telling her to spray fly spray on the nest and insect killer when it was under her daughters window :dohh:

God knows why the daily fail has now got it in for spiders at the moment. Suppose it gives the police a break though.

I noticed a spider in a little nest in my kitchen, window above the sink. Could well be one, can't see properly. I've called it Betty and going to leave it there. Its right above the kitchen waste bin so dealing with flies.

Poor spiders, getting hoovered and booted.

There's definitely one outside my kitchen window (it has the exact same markings) and I am freaking the hell out.

There's definitely one outside my kitchen window (it has the exact same markings) and I am freaking the hell out.

It's only a prob if it a) bites AND b) you're allergic. So chances are it'll cause you no issues. But as a total arachnophobe myself I completely get the fear!

God help any spider (let alone one of those widows) that gets into my house! I'm really scared of them and fortunately I have my husband trained now so that all I have to do is shriek and he immediately comes and kills it :laugh2:

If he's not here it's the heaviest saucepan to the rescue.

I'm more concerned about being bitten just now while I'm pregnant, does anyone know what the reactions are like in pregnant women with our immune systems being lowered? Worried for my DD too, it's more incase they get in the bed or clothes and no way of preventing it. Mind you I stay in Scotland so don't know if they have made it this far and it's getting to be a cold winter again so hoping the minus degrees temps will kill them off

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->