FAM for contraception

Perplexed

Mommy of 2
Reaction score
Not sure where else I can ask this.

I had my coil fitted last month but I'm having second thoughts and planning to have it removed.

interested in the fertility awareness method...I've heard that you take into account 3 things, morning bbt, cm & cervix position.

I'm not able to check my cervix, and I have trouble understanding cm consistency descriptions. sometimes I can tell what my fertile cm looks like but I don't know where it falls on the known descriptions. also what if my baby wakes up during the night, won't that affect my morning bbt? would the method still be accurate?

and with the fam, what do you do on the fertile week? use condoms?

I understand we'd have to use condoms anyway at the beginning while I figure out my charts.

I definitely recommend reading the book, "taking charge of your fertility". I really think anyone considering using FAM as contraception should read that book. it is very thorough and it goes over all those various circumstances like night shifts, breast feeding, etc. DH and i have used it for the past 2 years to prevent pregnancy and it has worked for us so far! You'll want to use a barrier method for the days you're fertile if you want to have sex during that time. You can also use online charting programs to help you keep track of things! :flower:

Oh yeah, and cervical fluid. the book will explain that too, and there are some pretty good resources online as well. do you notice any differences in your CM from time to time? that might be a good place to start while you're figuring things out. just making note of what the texture it is like every day and see if/ when it starts to change.

I definitely recommend reading the book, "taking charge of your fertility". I really think anyone considering using FAM as contraception should read that book. it is very thorough and it goes over all those various circumstances like night shifts, breast feeding, etc. DH and i have used it for the past 2 years to prevent pregnancy and it has worked for us so far! You'll want to use a barrier method for the days you're fertile if you want to have sex during that time. You can also use online charting programs to help you keep track of things! :flower:

Oh yeah, and cervical fluid. the book will explain that too, and there are some pretty good resources online as well. do you notice any differences in your CM from time to time? that might be a good place to start while you're figuring things out. just making note of what the texture it is like every day and see if/ when it starts to change.

thank you! I've actually just ordered the book earlier today and hoping it arrives real soon!

and that's a good idea...making note of what the texture looks like. I do notice it changing but the way I'd describe it is different that what the books do but hopefully it'll make sense at some point! thanks so much <3

I used fertility awareness. I actually bought a monitor which specifically is used for preventing pregnancy. You pee on a stick and pop it in the monitor - it then tells you if you are fertile or not. If you are uk based they sell them in boots - it is called the Persona monitor. It isn't too expensive either.

I stopped using the machine as I had pretty regular cycles so I just guessed my fertile time - hence I am now 25 and a half weeks pregnant! I ovulated much earlier in my cycle. So definitely don't rely on tracking your cycles without properly monitoring.

I used it completely successfully for nearly 2.5 years. I got a copy of TCOYF and used opks as well. I never got to grips with checking my cervix position so I just used temping and CM observation. I got pregnant with my DD the first cycle we stopped preventing.

I've got a copper coil now, just because DD is a terrible sleeper so my temps wouldn't be accurate, and we can't have another baby any time soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->