Family dont like one of name choices

blakesmummy09

Mum to Blake and Eevie
Reaction score
hi all just a little rant because its starting to grate on me.....me and my OH have come up with our names Eevie for a girl and Carter for a boy but all of his family dont like the name carter and they all keep saying they wont call the baby carter as they think its a bad name. To begin with it was jokinly said but now its everytime we mention the name they all say it and its really starting to get on my nerves as they all keep trying to come up with different names which we dont want and also when we've already chosen.
Sorry just felt i needed to get it off my chest as its really starting top bug me.

Thanks Ladies :) x

Ugh that is annoying. That's why I don't want to tell anyone before the name is officially on the birth certificate. Lol :haha:

Meanwhile, I'd just return them the favor. Call them by other names or just refer to them as "biological units" and see how they like being called differently :haha:

Alas i know how you feel, last time when we said the name Parker...OH family took such a disliking to it, to the point they even had a family meeting to work out how to get us to change our minds. FIL refused to say his name when he was born for a good few months, and even now they say it with some odd tone.

At first i was hurt, and seriously considered changing it but after some wonderful support from on ere, we stuck with it and so glad we did. i mean how petty and silly of the family to get worked up over a name,...it the beautiful child attached to it that matters.

We now going through it again as they dont like our choices for this one...but told them to bugger off.

Hope your family wise up and realise it your kid and your choice...and be happy with your decision. xxx

That's so annoying! We won't be telling any family & friends until it's official after the birth because I wouldn't be able to bite my tongue if anyone started to make comments....it's not their position to give their opinion so if it's your choice then stick to your guns and don't be persuaded just because family are nagging. In the meantime just be straight with them and tell them that's the name chosen so for them to accept it and say you don't want any more name suggestions from them.

My step-dad and sisters HATED my original boys name choice, Hugo. I have now changed my mind because of it. They all took the piss saying it was too posh and even joked and laughed about it. I am not telling them my new choice.

Try not to let it sway you. Carter is a great name btw :flower:

My step-dad and sisters HATED my original boys name choice, Hugo. I have now changed my mind because of it. They all took the piss saying it was too posh and even joked and laughed about it. I am not telling them my new choice.

Try not to let it sway you. Carter is a great name btw :flower:

Hugo's a typical name over here in Spain...it's cute, don't be swayed either if that's what you like xx :flower:

I didn't tell anyone my names for ds until he was born as we were team yellow anyway for a few months they would tell me they didn't like it even tho that was my little boys name by birth cert!!! I found it so offensive but then just told them I didn't care!

They have come around to it now I think but as I like unusual names any name i mention they don't like anyway!

There soon get used to it once LO is here!! Stick with what YOU want :) x

thanks ladies im definatly not going to change the name :) my name is Laura and when you have 5 in a class at school with the same name its really annoying so thats why is DS is called Blake as its different and unusal (well it was at the time lol) Eevie will be spelt different too as its starting to get more common and i prefer to be different x

I really hate when people think it's their business/responsibility to name other people's children. My mom's boss actually started making a list of names for girls for my mom to give DH and me and wanted us to seriously consider them (we had 4 names to consider and have already decided on one).

That's really wrong and very sad that your family has said that they won't call him Carter, jokingly or not :( It's your baby, your choice and they should respect that. I hope that if you do have a boy that they get over it and quick. I hope that they don't keep that prejudice, especially as he gets older (I would be hurt if I ever found that my family ever refused to call me by my name because they disliked it so much).

I'm really glad that you're going to stick with Carter if it's a boy (which is a great name, btw! Both names are!). Go with what will make you and DH happy, not what will make everyone else happy.

Its yours and your partners choices so don't change them as long as you both like them I would stick with them!! I'm also not telling my family or friends as its a question at the baby shower and I also want it to be a surprise!!

I didnt have them telling me they werent going to call my daughter her name but my mother did say she will give her a nickname. Which she knows I HATE so I chose a baby name that you cannot nickname. There were a couple that said they didnt like her name but I told them if they have another then they have a choice to name a kid, not mine.

I am with everyone else-pick your names and use them! We stopped telling people our choices, because everyone had an opinion. Nothing like saying a name over the phone and being met with dead silence, followed by a "I guess that's nice". Really?!?

My favorite is when my DH put something on Facebook about the pregnancy/gender, these random people that we don't even know started telling us the names that we should use, and why. One woman went on and on about how we should name her the same name as her daughter, because her daughter's name means a lot to her, blah blah blah. I should mention that DH is a musician and has about 5,000 friends (he knows only about 1/4 of them)...so these people are complete strangers to us! Why they think their opinion matters is beyond me.

I am having a girl, so when people ask me what I am naming her, we jokingly tell them "little MJane" (my name) or Luna, which is our dog's name.

haha love it, alot of people automatically think of the film "get carter" and think we got it from there but i dont even know the film lol, i was just a bit miffed that this is the familys first grandchild/niece or nephew and there is already critisism. Ive already had the neighbour asking why im not going to breastfeed and telling me i wont "cope" with labour (first was a c-sec) x

the only reason anyone should get involved is if the name is truly detrimental to the child (loser, bus-stop, oink!, grovee-nipple etc... all are real names by the way that some poor children got called)

I didnt tell anyone until after DS was born, my mam was panicking all the way through thinking of names i liked when i was 3 and convincing herself that i would use something stupid like princess fifi bluebell kitten or something lol

she was so relieved at Jake (she the clicked that i had always liked that name anyway) i got one or two comment about how it sounds like jack (my brothers name) and one comment about the tweenies but other than that no one has said anything especially not anything bad

its so rude of them and i like the idea of calling them a different name so they know what its like or say you have changed your mind and pick a name you know they truly hate then they will carter is a great name in comparison

I feel so, so bad now because I realized recently that when my sister in law was picking names I told her I liked one and didn't like the other - now I think I should have been positive no matter what, because who knows which one she would have picked!! The ended up going with one completely different in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->