Family so Close Minded about BFing!

I don't live in the US and live in a rather pro BFing society. I remember when I was BFing LO1 and went to the nursing room and there was some poor woman FF her very young LO in the nursing room and it was obvious it was because she felt judged for FF her LO in public. So sad that something so obvious (feeding a baby) is so controversial.

It really is :( I know it's so irrational but when I see a baby with a bottle in it's mouth I feel bad for them! lol But I completely understand that not every woman is capable of breastfeeding.

I think what makes people so uncomfortable is that its not a normal thing that is seen a lot... so because they aren't exposed to it, it's out of their comfort zone. I wish I could be more assertive and just feed her in front of them but I just don't feel comfortable now:-/

Breastfeeding didn't work for us, so I've been pumping and bottle feeding for almost 6 months now. It always feels like people are judging me if I feed DD a bottle in public as they assume I'm giving her formula. It's a shame that people care so much about how other parents feed their children. As long as they are having their nutritional needs met, I don't see anything wrong with how those needs are met (bottle, breast, formula, or breastmilk...).

As for the original topic of this thread, I'm so sorry that you haven't gotten any support from your family. I agree with the others and think that you shouldn't be forced to feed your baby in the bathroom just because your family has a problem with you feeding your child. If they have a problem with it, they should be the ones to remove themselves from the "situation". I went on a short trip with my parents, husband, and daughter recently, and I pumped in the living room with a cover over me (I offered to pump in another room but was encouraged to make myself comfortable and not feel like I had to go elsewhere). If you forget the fact that the pump makes noise when it's in use, my husband said that he actually forgot I was sitting there pumping. I hope things get better for you and you start receiving more support from your loved ones. :hugs:

Breastfeeding didn't work for us, so I've been pumping and bottle feeding for almost 6 months now. It always feels like people are judging me if I feed DD a bottle in public as they assume I'm giving her formula. It's a shame that people care so much about how other parents feed their children. As long as they are having their nutritional needs met, I don't see anything wrong with how those needs are met (bottle, breast, formula, or breastmilk...).

As for the original topic of this thread, I'm so sorry that you haven't gotten any support from your family. I agree with the others and think that you shouldn't be forced to feed your baby in the bathroom just because your family has a problem with you feeding your child. If they have a problem with it, they should be the ones to remove themselves from the "situation". I went on a short trip with my parents, husband, and daughter recently, and I pumped in the living room with a cover over me (I offered to pump in another room but was encouraged to make myself comfortable and not feel like I had to go elsewhere). If you forget the fact that the pump makes noise when it's in use, my husband said that he actually forgot I was sitting there pumping. I hope things get better for you and you start receiving more support from your loved ones. :hugs:

Sorry I didn't mean to offend! I know that it doesn't work out for everyone- and I commend you for pumping!! I work full time and have to pump at work and my DD is fed pumped milk through bottles by her caretaker during the day- it is a lot of work!!

It really is unnoticeable- your family sounds super supportive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->