FAO Mods/Admins - new salute policy? Stop fakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmartieMeUp

Mum of 2 girls.
Reaction score
To stop fakes from joining the site; have a new joining policy on which you have to have a salute for your profile to be active?

Guidelines:
- Must include username and face (bump optional)
- No black and white photos
- No cropped photos
- No plain white paper
- Handwritten only

It has worked for many forums and social networking sites.

I agree with most of these, and it would definitely work.
Just a few questions, cause I'm genuinely curious. Why no b/w photos and white paper?

:thumbup:

I vote no on the grounds that I'm lazy, that sounds like a pain, and unless notebook paper counts as "not plain white paper," the only other thing I've got is printer paper. And maybe white cardstock.

And I don't see how that'll stop fakes, anyway.

Edit -- and these are public forums and we've got lurkers down there who aren't signed in. I hung out on these boards for weeks before I finally said screw it and got an account.

I agree with most of these, and it would definitely work.
Just a few questions, cause I'm genuinely curious. Why no b/w photos and white paper?

Black and white photos hide edited areas easily and plain white paper is also easily edited; just a cut and paste jobby.

Syntaxerror - Notebook paper is fine, as it's lined :)

I honestly don't think that will help. I actually think it's pretty stupid :shrug: Pretty sure no one has ever questioned whether or not I'm "real" either, so that's not the case. I've been on bnb for a while now, and no one ever made such a big deal about "fakes", now everyone is so quick to call a troll. It's annoying. I'm not posting a proof pic either. I also like the fact that my avatar is my sweet baby, I don't think I should have to change it to a picture of me. just sayin'.

Edit -- and these are public forums and we've got lurkers down there who aren't signed in. I hung out on these boards for weeks before I finally said screw it and got an account.

Lurkers are fine, they won't be able to post anyway ;)

I don't think thats the problem, the problem is that anyone can see them without having to register. Tbh, thats they main reasons there have been none with my face so far. I don't like the idea that the world and his wife can see the photos :shrug:

I honestly don't think that will help. I actually think it's pretty stupid :shrug: Pretty sure no one has ever questioned whether or not I'm "real" either, so that's not the case. I've been on bnb for a while now, and no one ever made such a big deal about "fakes", now everyone is so quick to call a troll. It's annoying. I'm not posting a proof pic either. I also like the fact that my avatar is my sweet baby, I don't think I should have to change it to a picture of me. just sayin'.

I'm not saying the avatar has to be the saluted photo, just needs to be uploaded to confirm who you really are to activate the account.

But seeing it's "really them" doesn't mean they're really pregnant???

I don't think thats the problem, the problem is that anyone can see them without having to register. Tbh, thats they main reasons there have been none with my face so far. I don't like the idea that the world and his wife can see the photos :shrug:

Maybe that's something else the admins can take into consideration - having it be a sign-up only website, or give them limited access too different parts.

Maybe that's something else the admins can take into consideration - having it be a sign-up only website, or give them limited access too different parts.

I'd be willing to post a hell of a lot more if BnB was private, or even if unregistered uers weren't able to access any photos.

Anyone can post a picture with someone elses face, that doesn't mean anything. Also, some people can't post pictures bc they don't have digital cameras, camera phones, or web cams, what about them? They just won't be allowed to post at all? There's no way to stop fakes. That's the sucky part about the Internet, anyone can be hiding behind a computer screen.

But seeing it's "really them" doesn't mean they're really pregnant???

Ah suppose. Only solution to that is scans :shrug: which has already been made a rule to show data.

Yeah :hugs: basically you never win. Fakes will be fakes.. And all you can do is trust no one until they've proven themselves- either facebook with friends and family where they've got their pregnant posted or scan photos with their name and the date.

Anyone can post a picture with someone elses face, that doesn't mean anything. Also, some people can't post pictures bc they don't have digital cameras, camera phones, or web cams, what about them? They just won't be allowed to post at all? There's no way to stop fakes. That's the sucky part about the Internet, anyone can be hiding behind a computer screen.

It's a lot harder to find someone with a photo of them holding paper in their hands. And for the same person to have bump pictures with a salute.

I don't mean to patronise anybody, but who doesn't have any photographic technology on this forum?

Skye couldn't post pictures for awhile. Pretty sure there are others.

I agree with the sentiment behind your idea but in reality it wont work, we've been around for a long long time and have looked at various ways of trying to deter "fakes" and something as simple as that is easy to get around. I mean what good would it be for the likes of people who use this site that arent pregnant? They could be anybody pretending to be anybody!!

Unless we can come up with a system that is 110% foolproof, we will not be implementing any kind of "authentication" or "prove yourself" procedures to the site

Secondly, BnB will not become a "sign up" only website, its been discussed before and agreed by the team that it wouldnt be beneficial to to overall running and traffic of the forum

Thanks for the suggestion though, we work extremely hard to protect our members but we have to act in the interests of the forum as a whole :)

I don't mean to patronise anybody, but who doesn't have any photographic technology on this forum?

I either have to use my crappy cell phone camera and email it to myself or get out my nice camera, upload the pics to my desktop and email them to myself from there since my laptop's being funky about it. Just a pain, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back