Farewell Intercourse Law in Egypt. Opinions?

Having a quick look online it does appear that the basis of the farewell interxoursw story isn't true however it was started by the Egyptian media, so not by persons trying to start hate wars with Islam!

The lowering of the marital age for girls to 14 is completely true though, and there's also something else about taking away education from women, both quite shocking. I'll find some links and post x

The Egyptian media in question is run by liberals who are anti Islam and make up slur stories about practicing Muslims so yes it was designed to whip up hatred against practicing Muslims and Islam in general. The mainstream media in most Arab countries is very anti Islam. As for the marriage age being made 14 again there are countries on the fringes of Europe where the marriage age for males is 18 and females it is 14, these are not Muslim majority countries. Also the law was such in Egypt until the early 2000s xx

I don't think it matters really about the religion the country follows, not for me any way. Not everything is xenophobic. Lowering the age limit to 14 is just quite wrong I personally think, a lot of young girls will be made to marry against their will :(

What I'm trying to say is just because the Egyptian media is in a nominally Muslim country; doesn't mean they are not Islamophobic and make apochryphal stories up about what Muslims have supposedly done or said-because they do. Same with the media in other Arab countries. It is not xenophobic to question these laws but I do personally take this type of news with a pinch of salt as a)the press in Egypt is worse than the Daily Star/Sun/Express for outlandish and quite frankly made up stories and b)in a democracy people propose all kinds of laws all of the time, most of which never even get debated in parliament let alone enshrined into law. Even in the UK MPs propose whackjob laws all the time its just you rarely hear about it.

I personally don't think them changing the marriage age back to what it was before 2008 in Egypt will really lead to a gamut of young girls being forced to marry against their will, it just gives people including young girls the option to choose if they wish. If anything making it legal again will give those girls more protection as the marriage law in Egypt requires the active consent of both parties; I know people who have married in Egypt and the hoops you have to jump through to prove you're eligible to marry and actively consent, its a lot more than you have to do in the UK. I have heard that in some rural areas of Egypt at the moment people just ignore the marriage age and thus young girls are getting married just under Islamic law and then they don't have the protection from the state as much as they would if it was marriage under Islamic and state law as is proposed. I've also looked up them purportedly making a law denying girls education and this is completely false, some commentators are claiming them changing the marriage age back to 14 will deny girls education but there is no seperate law of that nature-some bloggers and journalists have misread things to say there are proposed laws to reduce the marriage age to 14 AND seperate proposed laws that deny women education and employment when the original articles they have copied this from say something like, 'reducing the marriage age to 14, thus denying women's rights/opportunities to education and employment'. See how things can be twisted? xx

Yet another outlandish story given validity by an ignorant public due to prejudicial perceptions of a culture. Like that stupid "baby soup" thread going around (in China, allegedly) which has been debunked as a hoax yet no end of replies from girls here about how 'disgusting' the Chinese are.

Id be pissed, if im not getting it while im alive he can bugger off if hes getting it when im dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->