Fast weight gain! w/PCOS

GoldenRatio

Reaction score
Hey ladies i decided to post here to see if anyone experienced this before.
This is my first pregnancy so i dont know what to expect from my body.

I was diagnosed with PCOS and we finally conceived on 10th cycle with first round of clomid. I was on 1500mg Metformin and PCOS diet before pregnancy for 6 months. I lost 8kg by diet and metformin in that 6 months. My height is 5'5" and my pre-pregnancy weight was 73kg.

For PCOS diet, I cut out dairy, sugar, white carbs.

My doc told me to stop the diet and eat healthy balanced for the baby. So i started eating dairy again and still limit refined sugar but dont limit my fruit intake anymore. At 12weeks of pregnancy, they told me to stop taking Metformin.

So from Week4-Week12 I gained like 2 pounds, It was fine because i was eating dairy and my carb intake was higher.
Then week12 i stopped metformin and after that point, every time i went on scale i was shocked!

Week 19 I have gained 15pounds so far. Then today i checked my weight and i gained an other 4 pounds in 48 hours (literally!!!)

I must add that i have been super constipated since the pregnancy and my weight gain is around my belly and boobs. My legs, butt and arms look the same.

I hope someone has suggestions, i really wanna enjoy this pregnancy but im afraid that GD is coming:dohh:

Is this your first pregnancy?
I also have PCOS and gained a shocking 20 pounds by week 20. This sent me into a depression as I also was on a diet right before pregnancy and had lost 30 pounds. When I brought the weight gain up to my midwife, she just shook her head and told me not to worry about it. I was informed, with or without pcos, it is perfectly fine and healthy to gain a pound a week and that the weight gain should slow down by week 30. Although some it is food, most of it is water, baby, placenta, fluid, and extra blood. By just how nonchalant she was about it, it definitely put me at ease.

So just no, you are not alone on this! But you shouldnt worry to much about it. Especially since you said its primarily around your boobs and stomach. (where mine is EVERYWHERE LOL) However if your still concerned about it, I would bring it up to your doctor.:hugs:

Thanks for the reply hun! makes me feel a bit better knowing im not the only one.

Yes its my first pregnancy. My doctor said some ppl gain second trimester and some gain third so she wasnt worried and wont do anything until i do glucose test at 28weeks.

Its depressing, but i decided to do some changes to my diet. When i was doing pcos diet, i felt great after cutting dairy. So i think im gonna cut dairy, it makes me gasy and bloated all the time. Doctor said that its okey as long as i get calcium.

I will do kale/spinach/brocoli/almond milk smoothie and it will taste like sh*t but i will drink it everyday and get enuf calcium lol

Also gonna switch back to Coconut sugar from brown sugar.

Will see how these changes effect my weight gain:baby:

Sometimes your body will just do what it wants in pregnancy, and aside from eating a balanced diet, you have little control of how much weight you gain. I do not have PCOS, but I still gained weight very quickly last pregnancy and ended up gained 45 in total. My dr was never concerned, and I lost it all within a couple of months. A lot of it was swelling which caused some of those weeks with a sudden weight gain of 4 or 5 lb! Anyways, if your doctor isn't concerned, I wouldn't be either.

Oh, and this pregnancy I had already gained 16 lb at 21 weeks. Haven't checked since, but ya, it can be normal! I also never had GD!

Literati_Love thanks! you guys really help me feel better:hugs:

I think I have swelling too because at 19weeks my belly is huge compare to my other friends that are 19-20weeks. Everyone is keep saying maybe the baby is big lol i cant blame 15pounds of gain to a 240gr baby lol
Do you gain all over or just around belly?

Im just gonna adjust couple things in my diet and hope for the best. Hopefully GD wont be an issue for me:coffee:

Hey Girl!

Why would your doc say the PCOS diet isn't healthy???? If you do the PCOS diet right it is very healthy and well balanced...whole grain carbs, no/limited sugar, tons of veggies, nuts and healthy proteins. I am sticking with the PCOS diet and haven't gained weight fast. There are lots of ways to get extra calcium besides dairy. Take extra supplements and use almond milk which has more calcium than dairy milk. It also sounds like your system is sensitive to dietary changes. Remember you only need 100 extra calories a day! PCOS just plain SUCKS! Hopefully your weight gain slows down a little but just remember that in the end the little baby is worth it and you will lose the weight.

I also wonder if you are bloated. I get massively bloated every night. If I step on the scale at night it seems like I have gained more weight than I actually have. I only weigh myself in the morning so I know my "real" weight. The last time I was at my doctors I was super bloated plus I had my clothes on, it looked like I gained more weight than I had.

Hey hey! U are pregnant!! Remember talking to you about pcos diet before. Glad clomid worked for you! How many weeks are u?

You are right, I just felt great with pcos diet and metformin. My body is confused. My gyno said I was diagnosed wrong, just LH being high is not enuf to diagnose someone with pcos so she told me to stop everything about pcos. i don't like her at all. I just need to listen to my body and go back to pcos diet. Gonna be hard:(

Hey Golden! :)

Hopen all is well.

While I don't have PCOS, I do have dietary restrictions because of Crohn's and past surgeries. I gained a whopping 12 pounds in first trimester and my obgyn was a little concerned but said since I'm small she's not concerned. I just wanted to say I didn't know I had crohn's whend I was pregnant with my son and had no restrictions on food. I ate healthy with my son. Raw fruit, veggies, whole grain etc. This time I can't eat that stuff bc I get intestinal flares. BUT I gained same amount both times. My weight gain slowed alot in 3rd trimester.

So I agree with Literati the body will do what it wants to or is programmed to do for a healthy pregnancy.

I gained a total of 35 pounds last pregnancy and lost 30 within the first two weeks after birth. The body is an amazing thing. Don't worry too much.

I have PCOS but have never had much of a problem with my weight...until now!!
I put loads on in first trimester but I think that is mainly to do with me eating crisps all the time to curb the nausea. If yours is mainly on belly and boobs, that's great as you will look nicely pregnant 😊
Mine had mainly gone to my hips and thighs!!! It is depressing tho. Can't wait to lose all this weight xx

I don't have pcos but I'm insulin resistant and very sensitive to sugar, I have gestational diabetes. I don't know why your doctor nay sayed your idea if eating healthy ie cutting out sugar & refined carbs (more sugar), it's a great idea since your baby & body requires more protein & nutritious foods. Refined carbs & sugar are not nutritious and if you want to maintain a healthy weight it's an awesome idea to acoid these as we all normally should!

So sort of in line with what you've said you've done, I've upped my veggie & protein intake (protein will keep you full longer & avoid blood sugar roller coastering which only brings on crazy cravings, ms, and weight gain). And the carbs I eat are greek yoghurt (plain only & higher protein than carb content), quinoa, and the odd yam mashed or baked. Last weekend for breakfast I made quinoa/coconut flour/pumpkin pancakes with no-sugar-maple syrup last week paired with breakfast turkey sausages, eggs and a kiwi.
Your weight will vary as your amniotic fluid increases, so always stay super hydrated but shame on your doctor from discouraging your an to eat healthy for your body. You don't want to hve a whole lot of weight to lose when you want to be enjoying your new baby! And a high carb diet produces big chubby babies, a balanced diet will be more likely to give you an average baby weight. There is genetic factors involved too but there have been many studies out which tall aboit how your diet contribute to your baby's future propensity to be over weight & your baby's birth weight and length. Your idea to eat healthy is a very good one!!

Hey hey! U are pregnant!! Remember talking to you about pcos diet before. Glad clomid worked for you! How many weeks are u?

You are right, I just felt great with pcos diet and metformin. My body is confused. My gyno said I was diagnosed wrong, just LH being high is not enuf to diagnose someone with pcos so she told me to stop everything about pcos. i don't like her at all. I just need to listen to my body and go back to pcos diet. Gonna be hard:(

I am 14 weeks! Had success with the third round of clomid. If the PCOS diet helps you there is no need to stop it, its completely healthy!

I have PCOS although this pregnancy was my first natural one and currently both ovaries look clear. I was about 60kg before pregnancy and at 25 weeks I'm now 72. I think I look huge although most of it is bump. Not sure if it's anything to do with pcos or if I'm just eating too much! I gained about 2.5 stone each previous pregnancy and was back to size ten by 9m pp. I don't think it's going to happen this time, I'm carrying so much bigger so much earlier even though I'm much busier! Midwife says I'm fine and nothing to worry about but I am going to start watching what I eat as I don't want to get stretch marks and be huge at the end!

Sorry ladies, somehow i lost this thread and didnt see all the replies:dohh:

I kinda went back to pcos diet, stopped eating dairy and sugar but still gaining at least 2 pounds a week. Still around my belly but i kinda feel puffy all around, even my necklaces feel tight hahah is it even possible to gain weight around neck area:wacko:At 23weeks, i have already gained 12kgs:dohh:

Gym knickers how is ur weight gain so far?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->