Fat is a mean word?

I think perhaps the distinction is that if you call a child fat there is not much you can do - its a physical descriptor that is hard to change. Nasty relates to a behaviour that is far easier to change.

I do think though that children do notice differences in physical appearance and it certainly does impact on confidence so I dont think they need someone else pointing it out.

We don't use the word "fat" in this house. It's not a nice word in my opinion.

Well since this "fat is a mean word" came up, my girl has on a few occasions got upset that she'll get fat if she eats cake etc. I've had to explain that she needs fat in her diet to help her brain and body grow. She's asked me why I'm not eating it sometimes and Ive had to explain that the only reason I don't have as many puddings is because I'm not growing anymore and so I might get a bit fat and if I get fat I'll have to buy new clothes which will annoy me because I like my clothes, and I'll not be able to run around after her as fast which will be less fun. I've tried to make it as little about "people will be mean to you if you get fat" as possible but I did ask if she would stop loving me if I got fat and she said "NO!" and I asked if she thought I'd stop loving her if she got fat and she said "NO!" which of course I emphatically agreed with, so I'm hoping she feels a bit better.

I have no issue with them discussing using "fat" in a mean way in relation to a story about bullying, but I knew that taken out of context my girl would get confused. She even asked why the recipe book used a mean word because it said "add the fat to the dry ingredients":dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->