'fat tax'

how silly! some of those ingredients are used to good proper meals! people get Fat from eating crisps, sweets, and bloody chocolate!

before i read the article i also thought they were going to tax overweight people for being fat ! x

So did i lol!

'government introduces weekly weight checks' lol I can see it now :haha:

lol :haha: It would work, but how terrible. can you imagine, oh your now put on 3lbs, you have to pay £20! lol!

I dont really have an opinion on it,other than people who want these things will still get them,like smokers manage to buy cigaretts every time they put the price up.
I could do with buying less junk and it might make me think twice if it was more expensive.

I dont really have an opinion on it,other than people who want these things will still get them,like smokers manage to buy cigaretts every time they put the price up.
I could do with buying less junk and it might make me think twice if it was more expensive.

its not junk though, its milk and butter!:shrug:

its not junk though, its milk and butter!:shrug:

I have to agree. If youre looking at say what my toddler has had today. Butter (on toast) with full fat milk, Cheese spread on a wrap, mice (chilli con carnie) and a full fat yogurt for pudding. All of these things are good and essential in her diet. All of which will have increased tax.
If Id fed her, cocopops, crisps, fishfingers, these would not have had tax but are more unhealthy for her diet. Im not saying we dont have these things but I most certainly would not want them to be a cheaper option due to being heavily taxed.
Everyone in this country has seen thier food shopping bill increase by around 50%. I definitively would not want families counting the pennies to be turning to unhealthy food for the sake of money.

Milk and butter?I didnt look at the article I just thought it would be junk food they were taxing.
Babies/young children have to have full fat stuff dont they?So it will affect parents pockets too,even when feeding a healthy diet.

Milk and butter?I didnt look at the article I just thought it would be junk food they were taxing.
Babies/young children have to have full fat stuff dont they?So it will affect parents pockets too,even when feeding a healthy diet.

Yep. Exactly!

Another tax? Doesn't food prices already increase with inflation? I would say things like milk are essential to ones diet

instead of taxing the consumer they should be taxing the industry, they should be setting legal limits on the amount of unsaturated fat,trans fats etc something contains and making sure the advertising of food is more heavily scrutinized so that unhealthy food is not sold as healthy, clearer labels and more availability of healthy food. But of course all of that is more expensive and hard, its easier to tax people who haven't got any fighting power against the government like big food companies do its pathetic really because its like saying rich people aren't overweight, it won't stop people who can afford junk from buying, how does that solve anything ?

Wouldn't it be cheaper for the government and nhs if they just left fat people to it instead of paying for gastric bands etc?

If you can't be bothered to help yourself don't see why other people should bail you out.

Wouldn't it be cheaper for the government and nhs if they just left fat people to it instead of paying for gastric bands etc?

If you can't be bothered to help yourself don't see why other people should bail you out.

my mum had a gastric bypass on the NHS recently, she suffers from depression and tried very hard for years too shift the weight herself, she was stuck in a horrid cycle of she couldn't exercise because of her weight but she struggled too loose weight because she couldn't exercise, catch 22 situation.

Her gastric bypass was most certainly a last option for her, they don't just hand them out, she had too go through months and months of test's and evaluations, apply for funding and meet a certain criteria and believe me it isn't a easy road too travel by any means.

But now, a few months on, she has lost over 5 stone, which means she now finds it alot easier too exercise and loose more weight, it has improved her life ten fold and her depression is also alot more manageable due too her lift in spirits

yes the gastric bypass cost the NHS money, but the long term the money it will save them from having too treat her other issues will far outweigh this

Haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but why not just lower the cost of healthy food? In some cases the healthier option is the more expensive option and some families struggle to afford it. Makes sense to me, if fruit and veg etc was cheaper people would be more inclined to buy it, right?

See since loosing my job, I now have time to go to veg shop its not local its 3 villages over from me and requires a car journey really.

However what it is is CHEAP! roughly half the price you would pay in Asda if not less. I bought a weeks worth of fruit and veg today for 4 including more expensive thigns like grapefruit and rasberrys. It came to £11

But if I worked I couldnt go there at all. If an independent can sell fruit veg at that price and its of the best quality but not always the most pretty. Why cant ASda

I was talking to Oh about this yesterday while doing our shopping and worked out something really needs to be done example

Frozen pizza £1
Frozen Chips £1 (Would do more than 1 meal for a family of 4)

So thats say £1.50 to feed a family 1 meal...

Home made Spaggetti Bolanasge(sp?)
Freash mince £3
Veg £1
making your own sauce £1
Pasta pre made £30p

That is some difference but you would expect the healther home made should be cheaper :dohh:

I find I wholeheartedly disagree with it. My primary concern is butter! As a vegetarian full fat milk and butter are some of my main fat sources (and yes we need to eat fat!) and of fat-soluble vitamins such as Vit D. As someone else mentioned previously children should be having these things. I don't believe that meat (which is generally very high fat) will suddenly be taxed massively so it penalises vegetarians, Besides all of which it's none of the government's goddamn business what we choose to eat. If we are all getting obese and clogging up the NHS then we should increase our NI payments to cover it. I find these stories hilarious when I think back to pre-coalition and the endless jibes about the nanny state! :rofl:

As someone who is struggling for money right now, I feel this is the complete wrong thing to tax. Going grocery shopping we try to get as much as we can to make on our own and healthy, but our money only stretches so far. You can get a box of salisbury steak to just pop in the oven that makes 8 steaks for $1.99. It's pretty tempting, considering you would just need that and some vegetables and potatoes or something for a meal. We try to steer away from as much of these processed things as we can, but it's hard when you are strapped for cash. They need to lower the price of the healthier foods and things you would need to make healthy foods from scratch. Milk and cheese are already ridiculously high right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->