FDA Seizing Portable Birth Pools (USA)

nightkd

Mum to two!
Reaction score
Okay, here is a big problem that has been lurking for a few months. The FDA has seized all the portable birth pools that are currently imported and are threatening to destroy them. They claim they are unregistered medical equipment, but they are not providing a way or means to get them registered. In other words, if the medical authorities can't stop waterbirth, then just have the FDA take away the birth pools. This IS SERIOUS my dear ones!!! VERY SERIOUS!!!

I'll write more very soon. But, put on your thinking caps. Yes, lawyers and business advisors are involved. My first run in with the FDA was in 2000.

Just think, they might knock on your door and seize your bath tub!!!

:dohh::nope:

I'm trying to decide whether to buy me a birth pool this early on ($150) or wait and hope the FDA don't seize the ones I want and leave me without for my birth!!

They are basically trying to force companies to purchase a license in order to sell birth pools!!! :wacko:

That's terrible! Maybe you could look around and see if you can get any good deals now, better to be safe than sorry :kiss:

wow! I bet there is a strong medical influence behind this one!!

Can you buy one still? I remember hearing that a company wasn't allowed to sell right now. DH told me to buy 2 birth pools (I already have one that I rent out). Not sure if I will though.

The company I was going to buy from said they have enough stock to last a couple of weeks, but then they have no idea how they will get more stock. :( It sucks! And totally a medical influence... They can't stop people from birthing at home, so they're going to start picking at the stuff that people USE to birth at home!!! :dohh:

My MWs rent out a pool, like the one I want, so hopefully that will be available when I go into labour!!!

Apparently you're suppose to send your pools back to the manufacturer today so they can be destroyed. Not going to happen. I bought mine fair and square and used it with ds2 and will again in the future. I also have one I rent out, not sending it back. I bought that, it's mine. It's legal to own one.

Apparently you're suppose to send your pools back to the manufacturer today so they can be destroyed. Not going to happen. I bought mine fair and square and used it with ds2 and will again in the future. I also have one I rent out, not sending it back. I bought that, it's mine. It's legal to own one.

Wow! What the heck?! This is just ridiculous!!!!! :growlmad:

ugh! i am SO sick of stuff like this happening! ](*,) what is wrong with this country?! a birthing pool? seriously?

Wow! What the heck?! This is just ridiculous!!!!! :growlmad:

Yeah it's just stupid, plain and simple. I also heard that the FDA now seized Elderberry Tea. I guess since they can't make homebirth illegal (even if Midwives were women would still have homebirths) they are trying to make everything for it illegal.

Isn't this a breech of rights?? What the hell is going on?

I think the FDA has taken off the ban on birth pools for now. I'm using a blow up kiddie pool that is just like a birth pool but costs way less, I don't think the FDA will be making kiddie pools illegal anytime soon :)

https://web.mac.com/heather_penner/iWeb/Birth Pool in a Box/Home.html
Could be an option?

Is there a news article about this somewhere? I hadn't heard about it until reading it here on this thread?

There is...but i dont know of any off hand. Ive read quite a few though....not sure what the updates are. Some ppl say the ban has been removed since this event, others disagree. As far as the ban (being removed) is concerned, i have not read anything to that effect, however, i have also not searched it either.

I think the FDA has taken off the ban on birth pools for now. I'm using a blow up kiddie pool that is just like a birth pool but costs way less, I don't think the FDA will be making kiddie pools illegal anytime soon :)

My MW has them included as a rental in all her fees and we'll most likely use hers, however before we were even pregnant I had looked at those kiddie pools as an option myself! They are cheaper and they make them so darn nice these days! It's easy to get a heater for the water too!

Growing up our neighbors set up a huge kiddie pool and set the clothes washer drain line up so that is could go out either the normal way or they could turn a dial and divert it to a hose that lead to the kiddie pool. They'd run the washer without clothes on hot and fill up the pool and enjoy a "cheap hot tub" LOL:happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->