Feed a family of 4 on £100 a month

angelstardust

mother of 3
Reaction score
https://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/

Brilliant website for those of us who are seriously skint or needing to save some money.

And even if you're not that skint, the recipes are really yummy.

A friend has been working very hard on this website it is designed to meet an average two adult, two teenager families nutritional needs on the very lowest amount of money. If like me, you spend over £100 a week, it may give you an idea on how to cut back.

I've been using it as a guideline for a few days and can thoroughly recommend the home made pizza. :happydance:

https://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/recipe-chickenhashbrowngravy.html

What is bubble and squeak? Do I mix the stuffing part in too?

The stuffing you make into stuffing balls, the bubble and squeak you form into pates and fry.

Admittedly, bubble and squeak to me is tatties, carrots and cabbage. But it's still tasty.

I don't see that it is all that balanced, and 80p a day for a family is just ridiculous, the planner sounds mind numbingly boring and despite the website suggesting it gives you your 5 a day, I can't see them! How many Tangy Bean Pate sandwiches can one person stomach??? https://https://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/planner-option1-month1.html
Also, who has JUST a sandwich for lunch, not even a piece of fruit or a yoghurt is included.

You might be able to feed your family for £100 a month, but by golly they will be skin and bone on this planner!

I agree with babydevil, I only have a sandwich and so does OH!
Well done to your friend I wil take a look

It does give recipes for carrot cake and other snacks for snacking on too. I've to make the carrot cake later on (so ordered DH as he left for work).

I don't see that it is all that balanced, and 80p a day for a family is just ridiculous, the planner sounds mind numbingly boring and despite the website suggesting it gives you your 5 a day, I can't see them! How many Tangy Bean Pate sandwiches can one person stomach??? https://https://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/planner-option1-month1.html
Also, who has JUST a sandwich for lunch, not even a piece of fruit or a yoghurt is included.

You might be able to feed your family for £100 a month, but by golly they will be skin and bone on this planner!

How bloody rude :shrug:

Nice I'll have to check it out !!
Thanks so much Im always looking for more recipes ! =)

Thank you so much for this, I'm currently rebudgeting to save money for my holiday next year so this has come at exactly the right time!

Oh and feeding a family on £100 a month is very doable, I've done it before and we are far from skin and bone AND we had plenty of fruit and veg!

in theory this is a good idea and could be really helpful for sensible people able to follow recipies etc - unlike myself lol

can i ask why your freind is doing it though, is it just a spare time thing, or does she plan to market the concept

You may notice it is a work in process, some of the recipes were missing what you should serve them with and mostly that has now been updated.

There will be an explanation of where your 5 a day are, at a later date.

The reason she is doing it (and several others) is because she wants to help those who are a bit skint or who just want to live a bit more frugally (part of it is cutting down on food miles and actual cooking to reduce carbon emissions too). She's not planning on marketing it and is doing it all in her spare time. She has a new baby and a toddler to look after as well as doing this in her spare time, and is a genuinely lovely lady.

Mostly, I have been using it as inspiration on how to cut down my shopping bills. I've been trying most of the recipes on my own family and they are going down well. It has kind of shocked me a bit too. The planner takes 1 chicken and turns it into 16 meals (4 dinners for 4 people), usually 1 chicken lasts us 4 meals, 1 dinner! And then I wonder why I'm spending £100 on shopping a week?!

As I said, it is still a work in progress and there are bits of the website needing sorted and rearranged and explained more (eg, the chilli recipe includes porridge oats to add to the vitamin content). But yes, it does provide you with all you need nutritionally. It's based on a family of 4. Mum who is in her 40's but has not yet hit the menopause, dad, 16 year old lad and a 14 year old girl who is menstruating (women of menstruating age need the maximum iron content). There will be information added later on about extra nutrition for pregnant women, lactating women etc.

HI THERE,

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT FEEDBACK.

oops caps on :)

just to clear up a few concerns earlier, there are 6 of your 5 a day included in the meal planner.

I appreciate people are worried about losing weight, but the meals and snacks add up to between 2200 and 3000 cals daily (depending on snacks eaten). So you wouldn't lose weight unless you were incredibly active or taller than 6 foot 2.

I hope that helps and is reassuring.

Louise (owner/creator of the site in question)

in theory this is a good idea and could be really helpful for sensible people able to follow recipies etc - unlike myself lol

can i ask why your freind is doing it though, is it just a spare time thing, or does she plan to market the concept

Hi,

I plan to always keep this ad free and charitable.

Louise x

Thank you for sharing this! I'm always looking for new recipes and ways to save money. I've bookmarked the site, and will definitely be visiting often!

:)

thanks so much for sharing this! we are really struggling with money at the moment and i find it hard to think of cheap, easy, tasty family meals for us all. I will definitely be utilising this website when planning my weekly shop! :)

I came here to see how to feed a family of 4 for £100 a week, so was really surprised when i realised it was actually for a whole month!

I think it's a great idea, but i just looked at the menu and whats there for a whole day we have that for dinner.
We always have soup, main meal and dessert afterwards. fruits and snacks throught the day and even though i spend over £20-£30 a week on just fruit i always end up getting more because it's never enough.

However i think it can help people who spend way too much like myself, not to cut down to extremes but by a little bit.

Great site either way :thumbup:

think i might give the spreads and pates a go
never know little miss might like them!! :thumbup:

most of the main meals i make already
but i love the website! :flower:

thankyou :happydance:

xx​

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads