Feeding from one side only.

Eegee

Reaction score
My baby will only take milk from my right breast. I try getting her to take milk from the left but she only occasionally manages to latch on, and when she does it's only for a brief few seconds. She tries to lap up the milk but can't get a grip - I think the flow might be stronger and my nipple also flatter than my right (both were very flat but the right seems more responsive now!).

If I don't pump, will I continue producing milk at the left side? I've been pumping now and again but don't really need a massive supply at the moment, but I'm going back to uni in September so will need to start stocking up at some point. It's a nuisance finding time to pump regularly throughout the day, although I have been managing about three lots a day.

It is possible to feed from one side only but you'll probably be lopsided! Maybe seek out a lactation consultant to give you a couple of tips. I reckon your milk will decrease on that side if you don't feed occasional from that breast.

Have you tried a rugby hold so she's latching on the same way as on the right? It may be a bit of soreness for her that she doesn't want to turn her head that way.

I tried some variation of the rugby hold but she hated it - I don't think I was doing it quite right though. Will give it another go!

You can try a nipple shield on the left side. It will help with the flow and shape. So easier for lo to latch and not overwhelmed by the strong letdown. Also try to feed lying down, more relaxing and a different direction to latch might help.

I second the nipple shield. My lo has huge issues with my massive let down at times, so I have to use a nipple shield - and it's perfect!!

My LO also has a difficult time feeding on the left. My left boob is bigger and the nipple and areola area is flatter. So I use a nipple shield on that side.

If you think the flow is too strong you could pump off a bit of the fore milk before she feeds from that great. The pump should also help your nipple stick out more and LO might be able to get a grip.

I also found that when I was too engorged my LO couldn't get the nipple in her mouth. It was like trying to bite a balloon! I pumped off the excess till I could see my breast looked less 'round' and there was more nipple available. I tried not to do this for too long as I didn't want to get an oversupply as this would have made the situation worse. If you can, try to feed more frequently rather than let your breasts get too engorged, but some LO's will not be encouraged and ail only feed when they want to feed.

The nipple shield seems a good idea too but I could not find one small enough for my LO's mouth so she couldn't latch with them.

You can definitely feed with only one breast but it might be easier if you don't have to.

The breast my LO struggled to latch to became her favourite as she got older so I think the flow must have been faster and stronger.

I had the same problem and used a nipple shield on the left side for 3 weeks and then I noticed she was much stronger at feeding so weaned her off it. It was a life saver, a massive help. I hope you work it out :) It takes patience and perseverance but try experimenting with holds too. You'll get there in the end :thumbup:

Will pick up some nipple shields tomorrow :) Only problem now is that because I didn't express much at all yesterday, I can only get 10ml out at a time now! I was getting about 50ml the other day :( I don't particularly enjoy breastfeeding but I hope I don't end up having to give it up :( I've got another midwife appointment tomorrow so will mention it then.

I barely express an oz every time I pump but my baby is making LOTS of dirty nappies and is packing it on like a champ so don't be disheartened by how much you can pump. It's not representative of what the baby is getting from you.

When baby wasn't feeding well from my left side I made sure to pump it after to keep up my supply.

Good luck xxx

You can definitely feed from one side if it works for you, I know someone who did it from when baby was 3 weeks old to 2.5 years and still going :) You're still early though so getting more help might get baby back on your other breast, or yes a nipple shield if you have flat nipples. Good luck, hope it works out X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->