Feeding/Growing Stage

Have already done that. There is one a few miles from where I live but then I'm not sure if I can attend the meetings with Juno as the nurse today was telling me because its RSV season I shouldn't be bringing her out of the house except for going to and from hospital appointments. The doctor also said she hadn't decided whether she was definitely going to give her the vaccine for it so I'm going to have to contact the co ordinator of the group and see if a home visit might be possible. xo

Jeezuz! They are not definitely giving the RSV vaccines??? They badgered us because we refused them!

I think most of the groups do offer a home visit if required, they are usually so keen to help. Talk to your HV to see what they offer too.

See her consultant said she didn't meet all the criteria for requiring the vaccine but then today the sister was saying she'll be getting her RSV vaccine before she gets discharged next week. I want her to get one for sure, think it'll give me a wee bit more peace of mind. I'm going to quiz my health visitor about breastfeeding support and the coordinator from the hospital is going to come up to see me next week to see how Juno is getting on. I pretty much breastfed her all afternoon today but she is so sleepy still and basically kept sliding off again after a minute or two. I can appreciate its tiring for her but also very frustrating for me! xo

You're doing a great job though, keep it up. It's frustrating sometimes waiting for them to get up to speed, isn't it? But every time she practices she'll get better and it'll get less and less frustrating. Hope everything goes smoothly till discharge. :)

They are very expensive. It is a course of six vaccines, costing thousands so they do have fairly strict criteria. Our health trust says any preemie born under 30 weeks, and any older baby with respiratory problems. I would have thought a 26 weeker would be priority.

The difference a few miles make with the nhs!

In Edinburgh they only give the rsv jabs to babies who come home on oxygen. Holly wasn't eligible last year for it which is why I was like a hermit most of the winter!

Isn't that amazing the difference between the trusts. I know if I push for it they probably will give it to her and I had said to the consultant that I would be keen for her to have it. If she doesn't get it I'll be like you 25weeker and be a total hermit until April! I was told today by the consultant that she'll probably be discharged on Tuesday. Did any of you have the same probs with your little ones latching on and not having the stamina to maintain the latch? I just want reassurance that as she comes closer to her term date that it'll improve. xo

My lo couldn't stay latched on so we had to use a nipple shield initially which I weaned her off about 6 weeks corrected.

I didn't start trying a feeding plan until nearer 37 weeks gestation and we went home 2 days before her due date so because of that we didn't have too much of an issue with stamina.

We did have the same problems and like 25 weeker, we used a shield which was a massive help. One day it did just click though and she managed to take feeds fine. And it literally was, one day she couldn't and the next day she could. Until that point, we just fed little and often.

The difference a few miles make with the nhs!

In Edinburgh they only give the rsv jabs to babies who come home on oxygen. Holly wasn't eligible last year for it which is why I was like a hermit most of the winter!
It is crazy, especially with the numbers of preemies in the area who seemed to have caught it in their first winter. I wonder from a purely cost v benefit view if they spent more treating those children than they saved by not having a less strict criteria.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->