feeding in the early days

Kirstiedenman

Reaction score
Hey ladies this is my second bubba but my first I had trouble breastfeeding in the early days so he was mixed fed for the first 5 weeks until we got the hang of it. This time bubs was great at latching and we have been ebf from day 1 but I am worried as the firdt 5 days he was feeding every 1.5-2hrs only one side at a time now he is doing every 3-3.5hrs on only one side and I am worried I wont be able to sustain my supply as he is only 8 days old. He is pooing with every second feed if not every feed and has a full wet nappy every feed and is already back to birth weight so I know he is getting enough but I am just worried my supply might drop as I am not feeding frequent like I thought newborns were suppose to. I have tried getting him to feed from both sides at the feed and there are times he will but most of the time he purses up his lips and wont take anything. Bonus if I am lucky and this feeding is ok but I dont want my supply to dry up

My baby was very sleepy and didn't feed as much during the day as I expected and it was absolutely fine. She cluster fed every time she needed to increase my supply and it all worked out fine.

He is still very young so will most likely change his feeding frequency again when he needs to build supply. It sounds like everything is going well so try not to worry.

If he is sleepy and you want him to feed both sides maybe try cutting him short on the first side (say 5 mins) then swapping him to the other side and then swap again etc. Some babies are really efficient feeders too so they get what they need quickly.

Thanks ladies that is reassuring. Also I was wondering when you engorgement feeling went? We are now 10 days old and mine had already gone is that still ok? He is still feeding the same and today and last night actually had a few blocks of every hr feeding so think he is building my supply but is the no engorgement normal this early?

Hey ladies this is my second bubba but my first I had trouble breastfeeding in the early days so he was mixed fed for the first 5 weeks until we got the hang of it. This time bubs was great at latching and we have been ebf from day 1 but I am worried as the firdt 5 days he was feeding every 1.5-2hrs only one side at a time now he is doing every 3-3.5hrs on only one side and I am worried I wont be able to sustain my supply as he is only 8 days old. He is pooing with every second feed if not every feed and has a full wet nappy every feed and is already back to birth weight so I know he is getting enough but I am just worried my supply might drop as I am not feeding frequent like I thought newborns were suppose to. I have tried getting him to feed from both sides at the feed and there are times he will but most of the time he purses up his lips and wont take anything. Bonus if I am lucky and this feeding is ok but I dont want my supply to dry up

That's not infrequent. Trust your baby and your body and you'll be fine! It sounds like things are going well!

Maybe he's just becoming a more efficient feeder? I wouldn't worry hun sounds like he is thriving, your body will adjust to whatever he asks for, if he starts needing more, he will feed more and your body will make more :flower:

I'm only on day 6 and the engorgement feeling has dramatically reduced.

I'm only on day 6 and the engorgement feeling has dramatically reduced.

That makes me feel much better. I barely get any engorgement at all now apart from a few days as he has now gone to 4-4.5hrly at night but taking both sides now he is such a porker lol he is putting on weight really fast so I guess he is getting enough. I cant believe how easy it has been this time compared to the last time its great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->