Feeding issues

AUGmum

Reaction score
My preemie was born 4 weeks ago at 24 + 5. She is doing well considering how premature she is and praying to God she gets stronger and stronger with each passing day. The only issue i seem to have is that she is still so tiny. She weighed 630 grams at birth and is now 760 grams. I am seriously worried about this. When she gets to a certain amount of feeds her tummy gets bloated and they stop the feeds for a couple of days to make sure its not NEC. This has happened on two occassions now and all scans have come back fine. Any ideas or advice on why she isnt putting on weight or why het tummy keeps getting bloated when she is being fed a certain amount?

Aww sounds like she is doing well - congratulations. What you describe is probably partly due to air intake from the breathing assistance and partly because the gut system is immature still. Try not to worry they have to take the feeding so slow and carefully. Jamie used to get bloated. The CPAP used to fill up his tummy with air and he also wasn't good at pooing on a regular basis either. It gets better as they grow, and she has put on a decent amount I think already compared to her starting weight :)

Congratulations on the birth of your little girl.

My lo was 659 when born and over 4 weeks only put on 150g so not much difference with your lo. Once she hit a kilo they added fortifier to her milk and it helped a lot. She was still small and was only 5lb at term.

She also had feeds stopped with the bloated tummy and xrays taken but thankfully it was only ever gas from the cpap.

I hope she starts filling out soon xx

Congrats on the birth of your little girl :0)

My little man was born at 24 weeks and 2 days, weighing just over 600grams, with feeding, it took about 12 weeks for him to be able to tolerate it, they kept stopping and starting and his tummy would would swell. He never came down with NEC but we had lots of suspected NEC.

Harry didnt really put on any weight until he was 5weeks old, about from the odd gram!

I think when they are so little, it just takes time and as for the tummy problems, im not too sure, most of harry's problems was not being able to poo because of his 4 hernia's.

She sounds like a little fighter and like 25weeker said, they might try to add fortifier.

Harry couldnt cope with this and had to go part formula to pur some weight on at around 13 weeks and my god, the weight gain on it was amazing!!!!

Fortifier - well where harry was first born, we used to call it magic milk because all the weight the babies were putting on x

Thanks ladies.

@ bob 2331 and 25 weeker, how are ur kids now as they are closest to my olivia's age. how long were they in nicu for?

I didn't want to read and run, as I have no advice. Congratulations on your little girl! :hugs:

Holly is now nearly 13 months corrected / 16 months actual. She was in hospital for 100 rollercoaster days.

To date her only issue is weight as she is only 14lb 12oz so she is about to start on infatrini which is a high kcal milk. Her weight hasn't stopped her doing anything and she cruises the furniture and crawls but hasn't quite plucked up the courage to walk.

Keep us updated on olivia's progress.

Xx

Hey,

Harry is 13 months actual / 9 months corrected, he is a massive 16pound, has been on nutriprem since he came home so thats packing on the weight for him.

Harry spent 102 days in hospital, came home oxygen dependent for about 6 weeks.

We have no crawling here or walking but he has ust learned to get himself in to the crawling position and will happliy holds our hands to walk.
xx

I am glad holly and harry are doing well. It gives me hope. Thanks ladies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->