Feeding?

Stephytiggs

Reaction score
Okay so I'm stressing slightly about plans to feed my twins when they are here. I have bought my breast pump (medela harmony) And my bottles (vital baby) And plan on having back up formula (hipp organic).

What I'm worried about is when hubby goes back to work, I would have to feed the babies upstairs as we have family members who live close by who just "pop over". Last thing I would want is my FIL feeling awkward by walking in on me with my Babs out!!

Carrying the babies upstairs one by one everytime a feed is due is just going to add to the stress if it all!

How do you think the babies would get on if I planned to breast feed while hubby was home so I had additional help, And bottle fed expressed milk in the day time?

Its all Just a bit confusing at the moment, advice appreciated!! Xx

My sister in law has this brilliant blanket that she wears, it ties round her neck like an apron almost and its light weight and thin so it doesn't get hot under there and she wore that until she got comfortable with getting the latch etc, now she wears two tops and i dont know how she does it but she feeds without showing anything at all, personally though my feelings are if people want to just pop round then they better get used to you feeding your babies because that is what boobs are for anyway and its natural, you shouldn't feel you have to go to a seperate room to feed your babies xx

My cousin got her twins in a routine she fed one first then the other after that helped her alot tbf i think routine is key, it will be hard at first but once you find ur feet u will be ok xx

My sister tandem BF fed her twins and this worked really well for her. It was very hard work (major kudos to her!) but she found it easier than feeding one then the other. Her mw helped her to get established.

As for going to a separate room - it's your house! If FIL is that bothered, he'll need to ring first or sit in a different room until you're done. Seriously, once babies are here I suspect you won't be nearly as bothered about it. Having to go upstairs will just make it harder and you don't need to add any further complications to newborn twins! x

I think you need to tell your family to check with you before they come over. That is completely reasonable, and if they have a problem with that simple request...well that's their problem!

I had thought I would be uncomfortable breast feeding in front of extended family. But in the end I breast fed I front of everyone, I just stopped caring. It's easy to be discreet, and like a PP said you can buy breastfeeding covers. I've never used one, but I've seen dozens of women use them. They look really convenient.

Expressing is a time consuming pain in the ass. Must be double so with twins. This will eat into your very limited free time. Obviously you'll want to do it sometime to have bottles so hubby and other can help with feeding. And I suppose some women do it exclusively, but sounds like a ton of work and stress for you, expecially in the eaerly on when the eat all the time. If your family visits and you really don't want to breast feed when they are their, you could always go upstairs an pump, but I don't think would need or want to do it every day.

But of course thats just my opinion! :flower: I sure others will have other opinions, and in the end, you'll just have to figure out what works for you.

Just an additional point, I'm no expert but I think your supply would suffer if you used formula during the day (especially the early days). You may find your supply dwindles and you end up using formula exclusively. Of course, it's entirely up to you how you feed your babies 😀

Charlie mentioned the double shirt method. Very easy and convienient when you're out and don't want to show off your tummy! The underneath layer is a nursing tank, the upper layer is just a normal shirt that is loose enough to pull up. So the underneath layer covers your tummy and lower breast, the upper shirt covers the top of breast and nipple (well baby covers nipple most of time, but the upper shirt can be a cover if baby unlatches). No skin exposure at all. I did this all the time, so much easier than a separate nursing cover sheet.

Thanks ladies!!! The double top sounds like a good idea!

Ww1 - I only plan formula as back up if I can't express. The times I am unable to feed from the breast I will hopefully have been able to express enough to bottle feed, ie when out and about! Also I do plan to tandem feed so they get into a routine together!

Hopefully when the twins get here they want to be breast fed, all this stressing already! X

I expressed for my dd (due to problems with her latch). I would have much preferred to just latch her on. One problem I found was that as you have to express as often as you would bf in order to keep your supply I would some times need to express when family were around or when we were out. Expressing is not discreet at all (bf is much more discreet) so I would have to go out of the room to do it. It's also time consuming so I spent a lot of time sat on my own whilst family were chatting etc.

I would get an apron type cover if you're concerned. I wouldn't recommend mixed feeding until you've established your supply. Babies can get very used to the bottle and after that find it harder to breastfeed.

While I don't have advice on how to feed your twins, if you are going to breast feed and you're worried about your FIL then he'll learn the hard way about coming in unannounced! I use a cover for my own comfort when I'm out or at someone else's house. If they're at mine, you better get used to seeing some boob or don't look!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->