Feel so conflicted about bf

Delamere19

Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys!
Reaction score
I have been bf my son since he was born and he's now 17 days. I have decided to make the switch to ff as I am finding it exhausting and having a 3 year old too its really tricky to balance feeding and looking after him. I've given my baby formula all day but I'm still not sure if I'm fully ready to drop bf. My boobs are so painful from not feeding I feel like they might explode. I was considering combination feeding. Would it work to feed formula when I'm out and bf at home? I never thought I would be so conflicted about it all.

Regardless of if you decide to keep some feeds or drop it completely, I wouldn't just stop feeding suddenly as you're risking blocked ducts and mastitis.

You could perhaps start by replacing one or two feeds a day with formula and then as you gradually cut down you'll be able to gauge how many feeds you think you can realistically continue with.

If you can find a way to breastfeed at least once a day then your LO will get some benefits I believe, such as an immunity boost.

I agree with pp dont stop straight away as you may get blocked ducts or mastitis. I would combi feed for now until you have made a decision as if you change your mind in a couple of days and want to go back to bf then you may find you have damaged your supply and will struggle more.

Once your milk comes in, you can't stop cold turkey. Usually it takes 2-3 weeks minimum to stop breastfeeding gradually otherwise your breasts will suffer such as mastitis.

I was going to say the same things others have said about stopping cold turkey. :)

If you are exhausted and need a break, maybe try pumping a few bottles so someone else can take over feeding for a bit and you can have a break so your baby gets the benefits but you also get to rest.

I will add that the first few weeks bfing are the toughest but after that initial hurdle it is MUCH easier, imo, (and cheaper, lol) to breastfeed than formula feed because you don't have to worry about things like cleaning/sterilizing bottles, making formula, making sure you bring all your formula and feeding supplies whenever you travel, making a bottle at 3 a.m, with a screaming hungry baby etc. You just have to whip out a boob and it's all set, lol.

If you are committed to starting formula, then I would suggest using cold cabbage leaves on your breasts (it feels good but also has stuff in it to lower supply). I used them when lo was little and I had an oversupply issue.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

I did 1 bottle a day alongside bf and it was just enough to stop me from cracking. Didn't seem to really negatively affect my supply either :)
That said, only 1 baby, but I hope that helps?

One expressed bottle & one formula bottle has helped me a lot as LO wanted to feed all day every day & I was so sore on an evening! I do pump for 15mins each side when I give a bottle to tell my body I still want to produce milk. I've had a low supply problem & my milk didn't come in properly till almost 3weeks & LO was loosing weight.

Sometimes that one bottle can make a massive difference to your sanity.

One expressed bottle & one formula bottle has helped me a lot as LO wanted to feed all day every day & I was so sore on an evening! I do pump for 15mins each side when I give a bottle to tell my body I still want to produce milk. I've had a low supply problem & my milk didn't come in properly till almost 3weeks & LO was loosing weight.

Sometimes that one bottle can make a massive difference to your sanity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->