feeling a bit of a failure at meal times

Stef

Mummy to Olivia & PG #2
Reaction score
Ok where to start. Im having a night mare when it comes to meal times with Olivia.

She goes to stay with her nana on a monday, who I know has livvys best interests at heart but she feeds her things like smiley faces, fishfingers and Organix biscuits etc all the time hardly any fruit and things and even when I send her home made prepared meals I end up getting them back and then obviously they need throwing away.

Olivia has always been a fantatsic eater up until recently. Im now struggling to get all her old favs into her. stupid things like pasta and meat and veggies etc.

She spits them out and laughs at me. She just wont bloody eat anything decent for me. She does at nursery as they ALWAYS comment what a good little eater she is with her veggies and things but why wont she eat these things for me any more?

Ive also had a few probs with her (you may have read my post about white poo) and the doctor was a tad worried about her weight gain. Olivia has always been a skinny baby no 2 ways about it. But she's so bloody active she just never ever stops so im not suprised that she's always been slim as she possibly even burns more than she takes in. I've tried giving her things to 'fatten her up a tad' under health visitors advice but it hasnt changed anything she's still like a lat.

Now im feeling like a complete failure and I have to get her weight monitored every week and consult the doctor about it every 3 weeks. Well its starting to make me feel bloody rubbish.

The thing is too is Olivia is only a wee dot. She's tiny compared to other kids her age and they never seem to take her height into concideration.

Im dreading her being weighed tomorro now and its not even me taking her cos im at work but i know exactly what they are going to say. I feel so low over it. Im at rock bottom and right now I see no way out of it, :cry:

Im at a total loss as to what I should do in regards to meal times too. I dont want to give in and give her rubbish, but I dont want to starve her, I just dont know what to do. Why is she being like this with some things but still being brillient with her fruit intake!!

x

I don't know hun. She's testing you though isn't she?! I'm sorry, I don't know what to suggest, hopefully other people will have some ideas though. But don't feel bad about it hun. Hope her weighing goes well tomorrow. x

So we had her weighed today, she is 20lb 14oz, they didnt say if it was good or not.

feel so down about it all

:hugs: I think the HV should be giving you more advice about how to get her to eat things that are going to help her weight. Have you got her percentile charts? I know they aren't the be all and end all but if she's on a lower percentile for her height as well as her weight maybe you might feel a bit better, as it'll show she's in proportion. I've just had a quick look in my red book and at a year old it says that 20lbs 14oz is between the 25th and 50th percentile. Bare in mind that this is FOR A BOY and boys are usually bigger than girls so she might even be closer to the 50th on a girl's percentile chart! She sounds like she's doing fine with her development and everything, hopefully her refusal to eat when you feed her is just a phase. Hope it gets lots better for you soon and you can stop worrying :)

Thanks hun, thats made me feel alot better. Im gona take her red book along to the doctors and see what he says, my doctor is much nicer than HV

I always find doctors nicer and more genuinely reassuring that HVs. Even though really HVs should be able to find the time to reassure you much more than Drs should!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->